Question regarding Future Income and including these in reports. Yes or no?

Good morning,
When I first added my checking account, it said it found income and asked if I'd like to add it to re-occurring, to which I said yes. I get paid roughly the same amount every two weeks. However, when I go into reports - income - by category, it includes my yet-to-be-earned income as part of my overall earnings for the last 6-12 months in the total earned. Only way to get that to not show up is to mark future earnings as "Do not show in the report". My concern is next time I get paid it'll then ignore this actual posted transaction as income.
What am I doing wrong here?

Best Answer

Answers

• mljshield3
    mljshield3 Member ✭✭✭
    Curious side-effect, if you set future income to "Ignore from Reports / Ignore from spending Plan" it obviously removes that from the projections, the spending plan, and a few other things.
    So basically if you want a report on your 6 or 12 months of income with accurate totals, you have to factor in anything you see in "upcoming" is part of your totals. Definitely a bug I'd think.
    Let's say you get paid $500 on the 1st and 15th of each month.

You check your income report, by category, on the 7th of the month.

Month to date is correct: will display $500
    This month: Is correct in that it shows all the scheduled income for the month, i.e. $1000
    Last 30 days is correct: Would show 2 $500 payments from last month, plus the 1 payment you received on the 1st.
    Last month: Is correct.
    Last 6 months / Last 12 months are NOT correct; they are not 6/12 months from the current date; rather they are all upcoming for the month + the last 5.
    Meaning if, on Oct 7th I wanted to see my last 6 months of earning, I would expect to see April 7th or 8th through October 7th or 8th.
    What is displayed is the entire months of May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct (no April) and it includes pay you haven't received yet.

Perhaps it's coded this way on purpose, but if I want to see what I've earned in the last 6 months I'd expect it to be the last 6, not the current calendar month including pay not yet earned + the last 5 months. I'm sure I'm picking nits, but it's confusing me. :)
  • mljshield3
    mljshield3 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • bleen
    bleen Member ✭✭

Currently many of the charts in the reports section (like the Net Income chart) include projected expenses and projected income. This should be indicated by using a slightly different hue or pattern or some other visual queue. In addition it should be included in the hover-state bubble for clarity. As things are now, I look at my reports early in the month and I'm always surprised to see that my income is reflective of the whole month (not just the part that has happened yet). I frequently get confused by this and check my transactions for the month and wonder why they dont add up until I remember that the projected transactions are included.

• mljshield3
    mljshield3 Member ✭✭✭
    I started a post on this the other day; it's a bug they're working on.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @mljshield3 & @bleen,

It looks like this bug has been resolved as of the 2.2.0 release. Please let me know if you continue to see any issues! :blush:

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.