Investments: Ability to download/add a cost basis and purchase date to track total gains & losses

aldas
aldas Unconfirmed, Member
edited February 1 in Feature Requests

If this is not already requested, I would like to be able to set the cost basis and date of purchase for a stock (or Crypto) that Simplifi has just started tracking.
Also is there a way to view just my investments in a trending graph? Either by account or all investments at once.

[edited title]

20 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Phantom
    Phantom Member
    edited December 2021
    We we need the ability to change the price and date when adding manual holdings for investments.  Adding a holding that auto-fills and locks the price instantly makes the holdings values as well as the entire account balance inaccurate. For accounts with frequent transactions, this quickly renders this feature useless.  Since most of my investment accounts fail to import/sync holdings on here it’s making it impossible to use for investments. 
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Phantom,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it, and our Product Team can review it. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :)

-Coach Natalie
  • harceyj
    harceyj Member
    edited May 2021
    Hello,

As a user with investment accounts that cannot be connected to Simplifi, and would likely not be valuable for Simplifi to add, I would like the ability to add additional shares of a holding when I add money to the account. This seems to be working somewhat with the Add Holding feature, however, it would be ideal to see the transactions. The investment transaction view, seems like a feature that you may have planned already.

Also, I would like the ability to update the share prices of the manual investments periodically, so I could see the true market value of the investment.

For example, I have 3 children, each with a 529 plan. I'd like to see the transactions of me adding money to these plans as well as the current value.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions.
    Thanks,
    Jon
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello Jon (@harceyj),

Thanks for posting your suggestions to the Community!

In regards to your first request, an Idea post requesting the ability to track transactions for manual Investment accounts already exists; I'd suggest adding your vote here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/306/missing-feature-ability-to-track-transactions-for-investment-accounts-added-manually#latest

With that being said, I have gone ahead and edited this post to only include the request for the ability to manually update holdings information for manual Investment accounts. 

You may also find this Idea post to be worthy of your vote: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1019/show-investment-transactions#latest

Please let me know if you have any questions! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • harceyj
    harceyj Member
    edited March 2021
    @Coach Natalie,  Thanks!
  • There are updates? I have a manual investment account but I have no way to change the "Price per share" field, it is set automatically.

For example, when I buy XXXX and I go to insert it after X hours, the "Price per share" is different from when I bought it.

Without this implementation, for me the investment section becomes useless.

Thanks a lot,
    Giuseppe.
  • Pmrussell892
    Pmrussell892 Member ✭✭

manual investment tracking is broken currently if shares were bought over time at different prices. The market values are way off.

• I would like the portfolio performance on manual transactions to be implemented, because now I can't figure out my percentage gain or loss on my shares from my manually entered purchase price and date (Quicken has it), thanks.

• Coach Natalie

Hello @Tarcisio,

Thanks for posting your suggestion to the Community!

It is my understanding that Investment Transactions already impact the Performance Over Time feature, as well as the Balance Over Time: https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6540220-managing-investment-transactions

With that said, are you looking for Investment Transactions to impact the Portfolio specifically? Or would you mind providing a but more insight as to what specifically you're looking for?

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Hello Natalie,

I entered the purchase of shares in the Investment Transaction with the purchase date, the price, the number and the purchase costs, then I entered the same shares in the Portfolio, here the price is automatically taken from the day's price, I I would like to know if my shares are gaining or losing from the purchase date to today but I can't do it. Thank you.

• Coach Natalie
    edited February 1

Thanks for confirming, @Tarcisio!

It sounds like you're looking for what's been requested here: [removed link to merged thread]

Please let me know, and I can merge your Idea post with the existing one!

-Coach Natalie

• Yes, I think is the same request, so I can see the performance of my investments, possibly by account and by individual stock, thank you.

• These are normal functions of your "Quicken deluxe" product, thank you.

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    edited January 29

Simplifi offers metrics like Performance over Time (IRR & TWR) and Balance over Time for investment tracking but I would like see total gain/ loss for my brokerage and retirement accounts (instead of just daily gain/loss) and also the cost basis of my stocks. This will truly bring everything into one place at Simplifi!!!

Currently, I have to open different investment accounts to track and to decide which stocks to buy or sell.

• Coach Natalie
    edited February 1

@Bgz , thanks for posting!

It sounds like you're looking for this existing request: [removed link to merged thread]

Please let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭

@Coach Natalie The existing idea seems to be asking for manual addition of cost basis and date of purchase for stocks. I am going one step further and asking for the ideal option- to enable Simplifi to bring in the cost basis and total loss or gain automatically from the investment account like Fidelity. It would be too tedious and practically impossible to manually add all the information for each stock owned.

• Coach Natalie

@Bgz , thanks for confirming!

I think having a 'cost basis' field or column would apply to both downloaded entries and manual entries, so the existing request should cover you there. However, would having a cost basis and purchase date allow you to better track your total gains and losses? That's the part of your request I wasn't sure about when it came to the existing request. If so, I think we can merge your request with the existing one so you have more votes, and we can specify that the cost basis data would/could be used for both downloaded and manual entries.

-Coach Natalie

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭
    edited January 31

@Coach Natalie I would prefer Simplifi to download or calculate total gain/ loss for all my stocks in addition to providing cost basis. Calculating it ourselves is again too much work (if you have dozens of stocks with multiple dates of purchase). The purchase date is useful mainly for determining if a stock would be taxed as short term capitals gain or long term capital gains (based on whether it was purchased less than a year ago or not).

I have attached an example of what I have in my Fidelity account and would prefer to see it in Simplifi without having to log into Fidelity or other investment accounts.

• Hi! Do you plan to add this feature to roadmap in near future?

• Bgz
    Bgz Member ✭✭

With just 19 votes (in 4 years), it seems unlikely. Hopefully more people can upvote it.