Break down Annual/Bi-Annual Expenses to a monthly amount in Spending Plan [edited] (4 Merged Votes)

AAAAHHHHHHHH
AAAAHHHHHHHH Member
edited June 8 in Feature Requests
There was a previous post here asking how to save for bills that are due less frequently than once a month. The best example is auto insurance, which is a large bill that hits semi-annually or annually. The workaround was to use a Savings Goal that you could manually add to and pull from on the month that the bill was due. This requires me to manually keep track of what funds are for what, which is what I'm trying to avoid by using Simplifi.

Since Simplifi already knows the schedule of my bills, I think it should perform the calculation to make all of them monthly bills, similar to the savings goal, and reduce my available cash just like a normal monthly bill in the Bills section of Planned Spending. When the bill comes due, it should tell me that I need to reduce my spending by only the monthly calculated amount and not by the full total of the bill. I am envisioning words like "You have saved $X towards this bill" (with $X being the savings from previous months) being underneath bills that I am saving for but are not due that month. It shouldn't require any manual interaction for the user because Simplifi has the dates and amounts already saved.
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Sqyer
    Sqyer Member
    edited April 7

I think that expenses such as my car insurance, which I pay in 6-month installments, should be divided up and spread out through that period. Say if I pay my insurance this month, next month I should see 1/6 of my next bill in the Bills & Subscriptions of my spending plan. Or at least have the option to have the bills prorated.

• Coach Nicole
    Coach Nicole Administrator, Moderator admin

Thank you for the suggestion!

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin

@Sqyer Great suggestion!

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @AAAAHHHHHHHH,

Thanks for posting this to the Community!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it. Please be sure to add your vote as well!  :)

You may also consider adding your vote here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/191/add-budget-with-ability-to-plan-for-yearly-expenses

Thank you,

Coach Natalie
  • Thanks Coach!
  • htc630
    htc630 Member
    Certain transactions occur in lump-sum format, but really reflect costs over longer periods of time. For instance, I pay for my car insurance every 6 months - while the cost is incurred once, it should really be amortized over the 6 month period. Similarly, I pay for my child's education at the beginning of the year, even though it should be spread over 12 months.

Reflecting this in budgets / trends / etc. would show a better picture of one's ongoing financial profile, rather than showing large lump-sum payments at odd intervals!