Workflow

Luis
Luis Member ✭✭
edited January 2021 in Getting Started
I am transitioning my workflow from Quicken and wanted your feedback on how to adjust my workflow to Simplifi.

My workflow in Quicken is/was:

1. Had all recurrent bills, income transactions in the reminders, which would allow me to project my balance out in the future.
2. Once a month, I would pay future bills listed in my reminders, clearing all the reminders with actual amounts, 'til next billing cycle/month.
   * In the process, one has the option to ignore transactions, to rollover to next pay cycle, very useful when there's nothing to pay, such as having a balance or not in a credit card.
3. The paid bills would show in transactions. and projected balance would update based on actual amounts.
4. Next billing cycle, I would download balances from the financial institutions, which would then clear (match) the transactions I had previously entered.

I tried to replicate similar workflow in Simplifi but ran into duplications. 

1. I recreated all the recurrent bills.
2. Entered transactions manually, with actual amounts, and then deleted the instance of the reminder.
3. A week later, Simplifi downloaded transactions from the different institutions, but duplicated them the actual transaction, with the ones I had entered manually.

There' doesn't seem to be a mechanism to link or match manually entered transactions with the ones downloaded from the various accounts. So I had to delete them manually, overall, not a very clean process.

Any ideas, or suggestions on how to be able to manage reminders, enter manual future transactions, clearing them and avoid duplications?

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Luis,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your inquiries, and welcome to Simplifi! 

Hopefully someone comes along with some great feedback/advice for you, however, I did want to share a few things. First, if you have not already done so, I'd suggest adding your vote to an existing Idea post requesting the ability to manually match/merge transactions, such as when duplicates are present: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1317/option-to-manually-match-merge-two-transactions-edited/p1?new=1

Next, in regards to manually entering future-dated transactions, although you won't see these in the register until the day of, you should be able to see them in the Upcoming tab, or in the Upcoming section at the top of the register. However, if the downloaded transaction doesn't properly match to the manual entry, at this time, the only way to resolve it would be to delete one of the duplicates. 

Also, if a downloaded transaction doesn't properly link to a Recurring Reminder, you can manually link it. The steps to do so for the Simplifi Web App are available here. You may also find this article to be helpful/informative as you're getting your Recurring Series setup in Simplifi. 

We have a lot of great articles available in our Help Center as well, but please let me know if you have any further questions regarding any of this! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.