Ability to see a Total for all Planned Spending Items (Original & Current) [edited]

Options
rosalynraelyn
rosalynraelyn Member ✭✭
edited March 13 in Feature Requests
I absolutely LOVE the planned spending feature. It's really helped me to track how I'm spending toward my budget throughout the month and adjust according. For reference, I currently track all discretionary spending categories in planned spending as a budget zero.

With that said, I was hoping it would be possible to see what the original planned spending total is in addition to the current. Right now, if I track my spending by category and I overspend in one area (i.e. groceries) but I'm still under-budget for spending overall, it only shows me my new total with the overspent category. I'd like to be able to see the original amount and the actual amount (ex. $1200 spent of $1000).
39 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @rosalynraelyn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

I have gone ahead and turned this into an Idea post so that other Users can vote on it, and our Product Team can review it. Please be sure to add your vote as well! :smiley:

Thank you,

Coach Natalie
  • Phee
    Phee Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree.  I have to manually add up what's "Left" by Category to get a picture of how I'm tracking to my planned spending for the month, versus a quick overall sum of planned versus actuals (month to date). Otherwise, it's a great feature.
  • chimoe
    chimoe Member
    Options
    +1 for this feature.  much needed!
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree this would be a helpful feature.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Lake
    Lake Member
    Options

I love the spending plan. It’s one of my favorite features that Simplifi has that other budgeting apps don’t have. However, it’s difficult to see how much money you have remaining of your allocated amount other than adding up the amount from each category, which is tedious and time-consuming. It would be great to have a “overall spending” bar under the “planned spending” section of the spending plan. This would allow you to see how much money you have remaining across all categories that you have allocated money towards for the month. This would let you see how you’re spending is going.

• aaronuss
    Options

Agreed. I am new to Simplifi and this is one of the first things I am looking for.

My workaround was to create a single "Watchlist" containing all the categories I have in planned spending. That shows me a totals spent, projected and target.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

• Pchamb1998
    Pchamb1998 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have to manually add up how much is left in my planned spending categories through the month to get an estimate of free cash flow. It would make sense to show an actual vs planned number throughout the month so you can get a better idea without having to do the math manually. I am constantly going back and forth from spending plans to reports. I have created a watchlist tile to track planned spending but I shouldn't have to do this. PLEASE just put it on the spending plan.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• KTH
    Options

I’d like to be able to see the total amount of money that I have leftover across all categories from my planned spending. Mint would show this and it was a good way for me to see how well I did at not getting too close to overspending across the board. Sometimes I may overspend in just 1 or 2 categories, but the rest I might meet the exact budget or underspend, and currently it doesn’t show how much “leftover” I have of my planned spending.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hey everyone, great news! As of the 3.98.0 Web Release, you will now see a "Summary" section in Planned Spending that shows a total for all Planned Spending items and a total for what's been spent so far.

We hope everyone enjoys this new feature! 🎉

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hey everyone, I've learned that the Planned Spending Summary was removed in anticipation of the Planned Spending Rollover feature that should be enabled this week (see here), as the numbers were not meshing with the rollover abilities. Our product team is not sure at this time if the Summary will be returned, so this Idea has been reopened for voting and feedback.

Thanks!

-Coach Natalie

• Jerrod
    Jerrod Member
    Options

I honestly found this feature super useful. At a glance, it gave me a decent idea of the path of my spending for the month. Since I don't care much about rollover spending, I kinda sad the feature I liked is going away for a feature I won't use. Before this feature, I tried to make a watch list for total spending but this didn't work due to bills and subscriptions having the same category as some of my planned spending categories.

I understand how it would be weird to use it with rollover categories, but maybe the developers allow for a toggle that shows it or not and recommend not showing it if you use rollover spending categories.

• BrittLew
    Options

I would still love to see a summary on the planned spending page. As wisely spending is such a big reason for using Quicken, I'd love to quickly gage where I am on my monthly progress. Thought I do like the idea of a Planned Spending Rollover ft as well.

• breadfan18
    breadfan18 Member
    edited March 28
    Options

YES PLEASE. The total displayed on Planned Spending should be the actual sum total of all categories spent (OR find a way to display both). Right now, it shows total planned plus overspent amount for certain categories. And i find it very unhelpful, because I really want to know if I'm on track for the overall budget in the month, even if I go over for specific categories.

If you all implement this feature, you will have me locked down as a customer, because this is the only thing that's making me consider other options.