Find/Link Recurring Transactions across any account [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

Options
msimon87
msimon87 Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Feature Requests
Hello there!
Currently it appears that a recurring “Bill” charge can only be linked to the account that the initial transaction was made on. Sometimes due to different promotions on credit cards, I will move a charge to a different card for a few months. It would be nice if Simplifi could auto recognize the charge in a different account and link the records.
8 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Devans
    Devans Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Any update on this one. I am running into the exact same issue. 

There should at least be a workaround in the short term to close out a month when this issue comes up. This article states

What if I'm unable to link a transaction to a Recurring Reminder?

If you receive an error when trying to link a transaction to a Recurring Reminder, or if the transaction is not listed as available to link to, you'll want to be sure that the Recurring Reminder has the same designated account listed as the account in which the transaction occurred.

• Example: Let's say that you've created a Recurring Reminder for a utility bill that you usually pay through your checking account, but this month you paid it through your credit card; Simplifi won't allow you to match the downloaded transaction to your Recurring Reminder because it occurred in a different account than the account listed for that Reminder. In this scenario, you'd need to update the designated account on the Recurring Series to the one in which the transaction occurred.

When I change the designated account on the Recurring Series to the one in which the transaction occurred Simplifi will still not allow me to link the transactions. 

How am I supposed to resolve the outstanding items and close out the month now? Just delete those "past" reminders for the month since the associated transactions do get accounted for in the "Other Spending" group? 

Please advise. 
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello @Devans,

Thanks for the inquiry, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing troubles with this.

Have you tried linking the transaction to the Reminder from the transaction directly, by chance? If not, I'd suggest giving this a try -- you can do so by selecting "Mark as Bill or Recurring" from the transaction directly, then click "Link to existing bill or subscription", and then select the associated Recurring Series from the list. 

If you still experience any trouble with this, I'd suggest creating a separate post here in the Community (separate from this Feature Request post) so that we can take a closer look at what's going on and troubleshoot with you. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • amalthya
    Options
    I have several recurring bills and subscriptions, and sometimes I pay them from my checking account and sometimes I pay them from my credit card or elsewhere.  Currently, I cannot assign a downloaded payment for a recurring bill to the already existing bill within Simplifi, simply because that bill is earmarked as needing to come from a single account. Feels unnecessarily limiting?
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello All,

Great news -- You can now link Recurring Reminders to transactions across any account by using the new Account menu option! 🥳

-Coach Natalie
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I found this feature and think I might find it useful (for reasons others stated earlier.).  Thanks.

Rob Wilkens

This discussion has been closed.