Automatically de-dupe Paypal Transactions

MovingFromMint
MovingFromMint Member
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests
If you connect your Paypal account as well as the credit card and bank account that are used with it, all the transactions are duplicated. The Paypal record is more detailed than the bank transaction record, so it is nice to use the Paypal transaction for categorizing, and on the bank side, the transaction just shows up as "Paypal," so it's easy enough to ignore those manually. On the other hand, for the credit card, it's easier to mark the Paypal transaction as duplicates and much harder to find the matching transaction on the credit card side. 

This is one the the annoyances with Mint, and it would be great to have Paypal (and Venmo and the like that are also pass-throughs) be treated differently so that these transactions don't have to be "ignored" manually
27 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• root
    root Member ✭✭
    Agreed, would love to see this feature. Should be easy enough with a combination of date/time/amount to de-dupe.

In addition to that, it would be great to be able to link Paypal charges to manually added accounts so it can properly deduct the balance from there
  • AlexB
    AlexB Member ✭✭✭
    I totally support this suggestion! Have same issues. And if PayPal is dealing with a foreign transaction you have incorrect amount as Simplify treats 100 EUR like 100 USD. 
  • SZR said:
    Another option would be to have all the details and treat the transaction on the CC as a TRansfer to Paypal, which is ignored from reports.

The Purchase shows as a Paypal Debit transaction, and there is a Transfer created from the CC that was used (Debit) to Paypal (As a credit)

For example:
    Paypal Register:
    1. Purchase: -$150 at So-and-So Store,
    2. Transfer from Credit Card ending in xxxx, +$150
    This leaves a $0 balance
    Credit Card Register:
    1. Transfer TO Paypal account, $-150
    This leaves a -$150 balance

So in essence the balance shows on the CC and the spending data on the Paypal Account, as it should.

De-duping would be bad as the credit card would not reflect all the transactions and keeping track of where one owes balances would suck.

I believe Paypal's data stream can already provide the batching credit transfer from the chosen payment method... keeping track of them as a transfer automatically would be the magic sauce that would make simplify and Paypal spending work so nice together!
    Can you please repost as a feature suggestion?  

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @MBB,

Thanks for pointing this out!

It doesn't look like @SZR has been active in the Community for a while, however, upon reviewing the comment, I agree that it should be a separate request. With that being said, I have gone ahead and split the comment to a new Idea post requesting that transfers to and from PayPal be automatically treated as 'Transfers' in Simplifi. 

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/2569/automatically-treat-transfers-to-and-from-paypal-as-transfers-in-simplifi/p1?new=1

Please be sure to add your vote and feedback! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • SZR
    SZR Member ✭✭✭
    Hey @Coach Natalie
    I'm still here, but only checking in when mentioned.
    Lots of things in simplify have improved greatly, and other less so. Thanks for splitting mine off.

My suggestion was not a separate feature, but rather the correct way to do this, as it preserves which bank account or credit card was used as well.
    Deduping would make me lose the source Payment method, and screw up my balances and reconciliation as well

Deleting a transaction is the easy way out now but really bad for analysis later.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @SZR,

We're glad to hear from you!

I definitely understand where you're coming from, however, since this request is for de-duping PayPal transactions specifically, and you're looking for something different with PayPal transactions, we'll go ahead and leave the requests separate. That way, we can also get a better idea of how many Users would prefer one option over the other, and hopefully your specific request will gain more traction. 

Also, each of the Idea posts contains a link to the other, so it will be easy for people to go back and further between them and decide which option they think would work best for them. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. We appreciate your feedback! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • markstepanek
    markstepanek Member
    edited January 2022
    New Simplifi user and I use PayPal quite a bit.  Since I have not learned enough yet to set up better "rules" for incoming transactions I am going through my bank activity and deleting the dupes.
    I guess I could just disconnect PayPal for Simplifi
  • Likewise transfers between accounts end up duplicating and skewing my monthly spending reports.

example → SOFI Checking automatically transfers portions to main Savings which are then automatically split between savings Vaults.

I haven’t actually made or spent money, but Quicken still tells me I made 5x my salary last month.