Add a setting to allow the Category field to show it's full path on transactions (edited)

Options
mjodotcom
mjodotcom Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Feature Requests

I think it would be useful to have a toggle that lets you see on your transactions list category what the full path of something is. Currently it only shows the "lowest level" category, but sometimes it can be hard to remember what larger bucket that actually feeds into when looking at spending reports. I am thinking something like allowing it to show "Travel - Transportation" or "Education - Student Loan" if desired. I think having the "uber" category context helps when doing an eye scan of the transaction history.

23 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• shannondwilkins
    shannondwilkins Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I find myself double-checking if a sub-category is in fact the child of the parent category I intended, which feels like time wasted.
    It would be great if you could display, when assigning a category, the parent category, or create a visual queue that IDs it as a sub-category. 
    e.g. Parent Category is above, smaller and light grey, or a little arrow to ID it's a sub-cat, etc.

(edited for readability)
  • Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I have the same request.  Consider that I have two parent categories "Personal Expense" and "Business Expense", and in each of those parent categories I have a sub-category of "Gas".  

As it is right now, when I view a transaction that has a category assigned of "Gas", I have no visual means of seeing if that is a "Personal Expense->Gas" sub-category or "Business Expense->Gas" sub-category. 

So I have to spend time reassigning the category just to make sure.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Given the limited screen space for 'category', I almost would say you could keep it as is but refine your specific category names with (for example) "(b)" for business and "(p)" for personal.  So you'd have "Gas (b)" and "Gas (p)".

Rob Wilkens

• kents
    kents Member ✭✭
    Options

For transactions and reports, etc. please show the entire name chain of the category since I have several that can be confusing when only showing the last category name. For instance, I have 'dining out' for local eating out vs travel 'dining out'. You have to select the top level and any sub-level name for the transaction category anyway, so why not show the entire category chain name so it is clear what category has been assigned. Thanks.

• EL1234
    EL1234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with this - and also, I'd like the option to choose whether to include subcategories when filtering the transaction list by a category.

• oracleblue
    Options

Users have been asking for this basic functionality since at least Aug 2020 but it hasn't yet been implemented? This doesn't inspire much confidence in me as a new user.

• Norm6257
    Norm6257 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken has had this capability for as long as I can remember, and it works just fine the way they implement it. Please look at Quicken and implement something similar.

• kents
    kents Member ✭✭
    Options

For transactions, it would be great to show the full category name (category name and any sub-categories). I often use locations for categories and the same sub-category for home expenses, utilities, etc. Anyway, I want to advocate for always showing and printing full category names as space permits in transactions and reports. thx.

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

me too - just setting up Simplifi - and another spped bump - can't tell WHICH sub-category path is being used when the same "word text" is used in multiple sub-categories.

Even if you click on the text box - the FULL PATH Category name does not display - and if you follow what you think might be the path, there is no confirmation indicator …. so - NOPE - you can have a sub-category - but then have no way to confirm which one was picked

And we have to VOTE - on fixing this design flaw

• BeanCounter
    BeanCounter Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, this one really bugs me. Adding a vote.

• darmstrong
    Options

This is desperately needed! Please implement now!!

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

just make it the usual expanding TREE when clicking to open it -

You can't have a sub-cat with a common text "gas" that might be used for a variety of uses …
    Vacation/gas
    Biz/gas
    SUV/gas
    Boat/gas
    Mower/gas

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This already had my vote, and i would also support a smaller font so it fits

Rob Wilkens