Display Transactions by 'Transaction Date' Rather Than 'Posted Date' (edited)

Chris
Chris Member ✭✭
edited December 2021 in Feature Requests
This makes more sense for the Spending Plan. When people spend money from their budget, they're not thinking about the date it'll eventually post to their account. They're thinking about the day they actually initiate the transaction.

This is especially an issue when transactions carry over into a new month. For example, I've had to change the date on several transactions that posted in June back to their corresponding transaction dates in May so that these transactions didn't pull from my June budget.
17 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Blake
    Coach Blake Administrator, Moderator admin
    That's an incredible idea. Thank you for bringing that idea up, it definitely gets my vote!
  • Dom
    Dom Member

I just wanted to add my support for this feature.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this idea too

Rob Wilkens

• Same here I consider this to be a bug; would like for this to become a setting we can change.

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering about what the benefits are for having the transaction date instead of the posted date?

Won't this require the various financial institutions to include both the transaction date and the posted date in their data downloads?

Otherwise, How will Simplifi know when the transaction date was unless the user supplies it?

Do FIs already provide the transaction date in their data downloads and Simplifi just needs to prioritize or provide a way for the user to choose which date to use?

If an institution includes Pending transactions in their data downloads, perhaps Simplifi could offer a way to lock those dates since they probably reflect the transaction dates and not update to the posted date when that is downloaded? For FIs that don't include this data point, what is the solution?

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • pkp
    pkp Member ✭✭

@DannyB Financial institutions definitely include transaction dates in their data downloads. Some other aggregators that I've used already use transaction dates rather than posted date. Transaction dates are just much better for keeping track of things because I want to know what day I spent the money, not what arbitrary meaningless date the bank decided to post the transaction.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

My concern, is if I withdraw $100 at an ATM, it comes out of my account THAT DAY not the posted day. If I deposit $100 cash at an ATM (or even make some phone-based check deposits), that deposit shows up in my account THAT DAY rather than the posted date. The posted date is really only useful when figuring out what statement period the transaction shows up on (if I make a deposit or withdrawal towards the end of a statement period, but the posted date is the next statement period, it will be on the next statement).

Rob Wilkens