Built-in Calculator when Splitting Transactions/in Amount fields [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

Options
Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Feature Requests
Greetings,

I'm a long-term user of Quicken Desktop and brand new to Quicken Simplifi.

When splitting transactions, please add a built-in calculator like in Quicken Desktop.

For example, I have two separate categories; one for "Groceries" and one for "Milk"...we buy a lot of milk! When entering a receipt with 4 gallons of milk in Quicken Desktop, I type [2.29] and [x] and [4] and [Enter] and it displays the sum. Simplifi doesn't have this really basic functionality. To call up the calculator in Quicken, I simply type [+] or [-] or [*] or [/] after entering the starting number.

Here's what it looks like in Quicken Desktop...

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=18aXxVeXmWEr6HBysmHfoXLj5Vwx15A0e

Thank you.
Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.
35 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pushing this one back to the top.  I still think this is a great idea…if I do say so myself.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Suki
    Suki Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    It would be very helpful while adding up split transaction items. Otherwise, I have to pull up a calculator and add items for one category at a time. A lot harder than it sounds if you have many categories for a transaction. 
  • Suki
    Suki Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you add a calculator feature in the amount field?  That way, no external calculator is required when you are splitting a transaction.  Thanks.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @Suki

Great idea!  There’s another idea post related to this so make sure to vote there as well.

[removed self-referencing link]

@Coach Natalie can you combine these two ideas…and throw on a few extra votes while you’re at it?!  :)
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    The Idea posts and votes have been merged @Flopbot! :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • LtDan1912
    LtDan1912 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Excellent idea @Flopbot! I would extend this idea to apply to any amount field.
    There are many many features that Simplifi has over YNAB, but this is one feature I truly miss from my YNAB days:
    https://docs.youneedabudget.com/article/1027-in-line-calculations

Dan
    Simplifi (2022-Present)
    YNAB (2014-2022)
    Mint (2010-2014)
    Quicken (1999-2010)
  • TheNigerianPrince
    TheNigerianPrince Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A common scenario (especially when I'm doing splits) is that I need to multiply or add numbers - e.g. multiplying by 1.101 to include sales tax. 

It would be awesome to be able to enter "10x1.101" in the input field and have the app automatically parse that and store the result.

Right now, I keep my old high school scientific calculator for doing stuff like this when I'm populating info for a Walmart/Costco trip.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I voted for this -- I would 'like' this feature, but this isn't 100% a high priority for me..  In Windows, I press Ctrl+esc and type 'calc' and calculator opens fast enough --- ON my macbook, I leave a calculator pinned on the app bar on the bottom..    It's a convenience, though.

Rob Wilkens

• Ricuba
    Ricuba Member
    Options
    A built in calculator is a top priority for me as well...! I really get tired of opening an external calculator when this should be integrated into the application. Also the ability to automatically divide splits between the split items... Like I have to every time open the calculator and then Amount/2, Amount/3 , etc... This really should be also built in, it would make it easier to use the application rather than spending hours on editing stuff. I love simplifi but it's taking a lot of time from me to manage my spendings because of the lack of internal tools not provided... I hope they could add this feature soon.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I momentarily got very excited when I saw this on the 4.0.0 app. Alas, it only turns an amount positive/negative (deposit/withdrawal). Someday perhaps, the app is getting close though!

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The IOS keyboard options shown definitely looks better than the Android one.

Rob Wilkens

• FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes this feature was so helpful in quicken. Allow me to do addition and subtraction in the amount field. today i have a reciept and I am splitting it from Walmart and I need to add up all groceries now I have to open my calculator on my phone or laptop to add up the values and put it in. Make it even better like the calculator on windows that shows all the values you are adding together so you can go and edit what is in there.

Ie

2+5 hit enter

and voila 7 is in the field. Yahoo I don't have to open 10 tabs. even better I need to split tax and need to take the amount and * by 1.0675 for my tax rate.

• lizurd
    lizurd Member
    Options

As a fairly new Simplifi user I was very surprised that this hasn't been implemented yet. Please, please, add a calculator to the amount fields. It is so incredibly useful. Not having one is frankly a burden.

I am still trying to decide if I want to use Simplifi long term and the lack of a calculator may be a deal breaker (yes, I find it that useful).

• FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭
    Options

I wrote a Chrome Add-in to add calculator functionality to Quicken Simplifi after this was not prioritized any my wife kept pushing for it. But I was sorely disappointed that in the last release they totally changed the way the edit transaction and split window looked and now my calculator is not working. not sure if the addin is going to be sustainable given the current velocity of changes on that single window where the calculator is rendered.

https://github.com/BinaryBeanCounter/simplifi-power-tools

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It would also be helpful in the new split transaction module if you could tab across the fields instead of having to use the mouse. At least that is how it works on my iMac with Safari.

But I do agree that the calculator would be a nice feature. Frankly, I haven't seen the benefit in opening another window to enter splits over the old method, but have waited to see what others think.

Steve
    Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
    MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991