Allow a custom date range for Recent Spending Tile & use transaction date, not cleared date (edited)

Options
AnilLF
AnilLF Member
edited August 2021 in Feature Requests
Below are TWO ideas to help users get better, real-time feedback on their spending and therefore, spend more wisely and achieve greater financial success!

The "recent transactions" function displays transactions over a rolling four day period based on the "clearing date"  of each transaction. Here are two ways to make it EVEN better

1. Allow the date range to be a user-defined setting
Depending on the person's needs/preferences, it would be great to change the rolling four day window to something more relevant to the specific user. For example, if I like to track my expenses on a weekly basis, then I could set the window to be Sunday-Saturday (or whichever dates make most sense for me.) If I'm monitoring expenses daily, I could have the window be one day. Having a four day period a) seems arbitrary and b) prevents the user from making the time frame most relevant for him/her. 

2. Base the list of transactions on the "transaction date"
If I buy a cup of coffee on Sep 1, but the transaction doesn't clear until Sep 3, here's what happens: The transaction shows up on Sep 1... then it changes to Sep 3. So it shows up in my "four-day" list of recent transactions for six days! For budgeting purposes, the clearing date is irrelevant. Therefore, if someone is using the Recent Transactions tool to monitor their spending in real time, it's FAR more helpful to have transactions be based on the transaction date (which also doesn't change over the pending/cleared process.) If the intent of the tool is to help people track their financial activity and ultimately achieve better financial outcomes, minimizing the "distance" between what the App displays and "real life" is critical.

Thank you
4 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hello @AnilLF,

Thanks for posting your suggestions, and welcome to the Community!

Would you mind clarifying your request a bit? What part of the program are you referring to specifically? I'm assuming that you're referring to the Recent Spending tile on the Dashboard, but just want to be sure. If you're referring to a different part of the program, is your request for the Mobile App or the Web App specifically?

In regards to the second part of your request, something like this would most likely require some changes that would apply to all transactions, and would then correlate to the section that's relevant for you. We do have an existing Idea post for this request specifically that would be great to have your vote on! 

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1788/display-transactions-by-transaction-date-rather-than-posted-date-edited/p1?new=1

Please let me know what section you're referring to and if you have any additional questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello All, 

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant, and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 10 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken Simplifi, please be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this request would be beneficial for you. More details on voting for Idea posts can be found in our FAQ here

Thank you,

Quicken Simplifi Community Support Team

• getquickevenbetter
    Options

Reviving this request!

The “Recent Spending” tile (which I pin at the the top for easy access to review/categorize transactions) seems completely arbitrary to me. Because it seems to choose a somewhat random number of past days to calculate/display… a spending amount that I don’t really care about. ? (And therefore I don’t interpret/use that info in any way.) I’d rather it simply be titled/show all “recent transactions” and maybe include a small subtitle of the spending total so far in the month. Then I would have consistent context for that number.