Reports: Add a Comparison View/Report [edited] (4 Merged Votes)

oceandreamer128
oceandreamer128 Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Feature Requests

Would like to see a way to see a monthly comparative view added for income and spending, which shows the amounts separated by month. As well as, be able to designate the months viewed (i.e. Feb to Sept). This would be very helpful in viewing category spending and how it has changed month to month.

69 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the suggestion! We've had a couple of other requests for ways to break out monthly transactions, and our support team is looking into ways to enable that in Simplifi. Please keep checking back here for updates and alerts, and don't hesitate to give us a nudge if you don't find the answers you're looking for!

• It would be great to be able to quickly move between months within the Spending view.  Say, to quickly look at January then February then March, to easily compare month-to-month spending.  The only way to do this now is by entering in custom date ranges, which is cumbersome and slows down the comparison process.  Adding this would be easy and make managing monthly spending/budgeting easier.   
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @MakingItSimple,

Thanks for the suggestion! 

To clarify your request, are you referring to the Spending Report? Please let me know, thanks! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Hi, yes, thank you!  I'm actually referring to all of the Reports, I guess--Spending, Income, Net Income, Monthly Summary too.

Also, is there a way for the Savings report to include investments?  Currently "savings" just seems to measure month-to-month cash holdings, which is not particularly meaningful.  
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @MakingItSimple,

Thanks for confirming! I have gone ahead and merged your post with an existing Idea post requesting a comparison view for Reports.

In regards to the Savings Report including investment data, as this Report is based solely on your Savings Accounts, investment data wouldn't be included. Also, we currently don't support Investment Transactions, which would be necessary in order for a Report to pull in the data, but this ability is forthcoming -- you can follow here for updates!

You are, however, always more than welcome to create a separate Idea post for any additional requests that you may have. :wink:

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

-Coach Natalie
  • Estefania
    Estefania Member
    edited April 2022
    There should be an option to compare months, so you can see in one graph total month expenses/income month by month. That way you can see if expenses/savings are going up or down on a monthly basis. 
  • jgrede
    jgrede Member
    edited December 2022
    i look at my finances by month by category and then total expenses. I then look at trends across the months by category. there is no report of this nature in Simplifi. I am suggesting to develop at report that shows all category expenses and income  by month ( it would be great if this could be downloaded). If this data could be downloaded to excel I would be happy then I could build my own report.
  • jgrede
    jgrede Member
    this would be an enhancement
  • Using the Reports feature I'm currently able to generate a report that shows all transactions classified by categories for specific months. However it seems that it doesn't allow me to aggregate spending transactions by category. For instance, I would like to know how much has been spend on the Grocery, or Rent, or Transportation category over the last 3-, 6- or 12 month period. It would be useful to know how much has been spent on each category in a way that aggregates all categories together, such as a "Pie" chart showing comparison of all category totals for the last year. This would be quite useful in knowing how much I should budget in each category for the next year based on what was spent in the previous year.

• ClaireD
    ClaireD Member

month-by-month is how I conceptualize my spending and budgeting so being able to view reports on a monthly level for any span of time (like a whole year or more) would be very helpful!

• Mint has this feature and it is very informative to understand spending. I would like to see how much i spend each month and also how that compared to the past year. I've seen recommendations for wanting averages; I strongly agree with that but averages are useless if your spending habits fluctuate (e.g. my spending is extremely high in the 2 months of the year i pay property tax).

• madmoondog
    madmoondog Member ✭✭

Also coming from mint here and this feature is a must haveffor all the reasons already mentioned. Plus one for me to up vote as well

• What progress has been made toward implementing this feature?

• Upvoting this - I'm a big fan of it from Mint. Simplifi is a great product but would love to see this too.

• reebs26
    reebs26 Member

Please please please add this. I switched to you guys in 2022 and the comparison report was one of the most important features I used on Mint for 10 years. I really need this and would pay extra for it.

• Odin700
    Odin700 Member

Upvoting this comparison view report feature. It was one of my main reports in Mint and it's a glaring omission in Simplifi.

• chae1020
    chae1020 Member

The "trending" functionality in Mint is super important. Any updates on development?

• Absolutely would like to see this. Like most folks, my spending is cyclical (more spent in December, etc.) If I can't view something that compares this year to last year, I can't see if I'm on the right track! Comparing back even further would be even better — how does my spending in each category compare to the previous 3 years?

• Is there any update to adding the comparison feature in reports? And how can I vote for this idea, it doesn't seem to allow it above?

• I have also just switched from Mint to Simplifi. This feature was one of my most-used on Mint.

• Bread01
    Bread01 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2

I don't use Simplifi for budgeting and don't ever plan to. For those who manage their finances in a similar way to how I do, time period over time period (e.g., year-over-year; month-over-month; this month vs. last month, this month vs. 12 month average, etc.) reporting of expenses by category is THE primary way to monitor, understand, and adjust your spending. The prior period of comparison is a SUBSTITUTE for a set budget or spending plan and used INSTEAD OF A BUDGET or spending plan. A comparison feature is a critical need for customers who DO NOT USE BUDGETS or spending plans.

There seem to be a lot of former Mint users who used this feature in Mint and I suggest the Simplifi product team prioritize adding this feature to Simplifi if they want to keep these former Mint users. This definitely has my vote.

Simplifi User Since February 2024

Mint User Since 2011

User Type: Monitor Net Income and Grow Net Worth

• ludwit
    ludwit Member

I moved over from Mint, and this is a major feature of how I tracked my spending month to month and year to year to see trends and make adjustments as needed. Please add this.

• kollock
    kollock Member

Agreed. As a non budget user, my most used mint feature was historical look backs and month over month comparisons. For Simplifi, I've taken to adding a million watchlists (which exposed data over time, averages, etc.) but it feels like a real low tech, scattered way of getting there.

• agreed, looks like this request is 3.5 years old. Hope to see this feature added soon. Converted from Mint in Nov 2023, after using that tool for almost 15 years. Looking forward to improvements here.

• George Sullins
    George Sullins Member ✭✭

Monthly Summary is a good start. However, it compares current month to previous month. More useful would be the functionality Mint had. Namely, the ability to compare a specified date range to the same range in the previous 12 months prior. This facilitates year-over-year comparisons. I have attached two screen shots as an example that shows the graph and transaction totals for easy comparison of last year and the previous year.

• Calusawillp
    Calusawillp Member

Ability to compare reports time period over time period

• Ivan
    Ivan Member

It would be very useful to have a set of reports (spending, income, etc), which allow us to set two date ranges to compare. So, for example, I'd be able to look at my spending in March 2023 as compared to March 2024 (another example, 1Q2023 compared to 3Q2023). All the standing filters and dimensions could be applied, but you'd have both months' spending displayed separately so the user can easily compare the two on a total, per category, or other dimensional basis.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22

The request you mentioned already exists and has over 60 votes. Check it out.

[removed link to merged thread]

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present