Getting Started and How Far Back to Clean Up

Chadjeremy
Chadjeremy Member
edited January 25 in Getting Started
Hello All. I am making the transition from Quicken to Simplifi as I prefer the mobile first approach of simplifi over Quicken. I used Quicken for over a decade. I am a bit OCD about my data being correct and categories being organized. As such, I set up my Simplifi and have updated and cleaned up all my transactions and accounts back to November 1. I am tempted to go in and delete all transactions before November 1 (I have all of that in my Quicken product, which I stopped subscribing to but I have the historic data). 
Has anyone had any luck in deleting prior transactions when you first set up so that your reports and spending history is nice and clean? Did deleting previous transactions cause any download issues (In Quicken, I started having issues where my transactions would download twice or three times). 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Chadjeremy,

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the Community, and welcome to Simplifi!

Hopefully some other Users come along with great feedback for you on their experiences, however, I don't foresee you having any issues with deleting older transactions. Simplifi is designed to always stay in line with the balance being reported by your bank on connected accounts, so you wouldn't need to make an opening balance adjustment or anything like that (like you would in Quicken), as it should automatically stay synced with the bank. 

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    @Chadjeremy

Good to hear your background.  I too am a recent Quicken to Simpifi migrant (for many of the same reasons) and also a bit OCD when it comes to historical transactions.  I don't have enough experience to know if there are any downsides to deleting old transactions; none that I've found so far.  However, I would add two additional considerations to @Coach Natalie 's post.  Personally, I've found them useful.
    1. Simplifi doesn't have a reconciliation process per say, however, I personally like to use the transactions on one of my bank statements to determine how far back I go.  For example, if I at least want to go back to November 1, 2020, then I find my statement that includes November 1, 2020 and use whatever is the oldest transaction on there.  Then, I follow the process discussed (click here) to "reconcile" all my old, historical transactions.  Tedious, but satisfying.  Added bonus, it makes it easier to know what the Opening Balance should be since it's listed on the bank statement.
    2. Pay special attention to both sides of transfers and whether or not both accounts synced with Simplifi (ex. Checking and Savings).  Based on what you decide on #1, sometimes you might have Both Checking & Savings synced in Simplifi, but not all transactions will be present.  This one tripped me up in Simplifi at first.
    Here's roughly what it looks like with #2...

Checking#1234  |  Category         |          Savings#5678
    $100                      "Transfer to 5678"     $100
    $75                        "Transfer to 1234"     $75
    $50                        "Transfer to 5678"     $50
    $25                        "Transfer"                  Not in Simplifi!

Again, welcome to Simplifi!

P.S. Do give some thought to whether you'll truly have access to your data when your Quicken Subscription ends.  Mine hasn't ended yet so I just don't know.  I guess you'd still have Quicken on your desktop, it just wouldn't stay up-to-date or sync any transactions.  What happens when you get a new computer and can't re-install Quicken?  Maybe export all the data to an Excel file?  If you find anything useful in how to navigate that transition, please do share!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    Brand new to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Hi both. Unfortunately, deleting transactions prior to November 1, 2021 has caused me serious problems. I am disappointed. My balance is wrong now. Simplifi is completely not accurate now. Ugh. I wish there was more developed expertise on this product so that I wouldn't have thought that the coach's response below was signal that it was safe to do so. :(
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    @Chadjeremy

Pull out your bank statement, the one that has November 1, 2020 on it, and look for any transactions that are NOT in Simplifi but ARE on the statement. Consider adding them back into Simplifi.

Then, change the opening balance to whatever the statement says it should be… and change the date.

I think/hope that this should resolve your issues.  Before doing this, I too was having issues with the projected balance chart not showing accurate information.  Once I did this, everything magically started working.

I’d also advise double checking every transaction in the account against your past bank statements just to make sure that nothing is missing.  Tedious, yes.  But worth the time.

Respond back to this post and let us know if that worked.
    Chris
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Also, P.S. if you type @ into the forum, it pulls up everyone’s forum name as you type.  When you select one, it notifies them of your reply. 

Example @Flopbot

Otherwise, your leaving it up to luck that we happen to see your reply.
    Chris
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2021
    Hello @Chadjeremy,

Once you deleted the older transactions, did you sign out and back into Simplifi, by chance? Sometimes the balance will appear incorrect after removing/editing transactions, but signing out and back in should sync it back to the bank balance if the account is connected to the bank. 

@Flopbot also has some great suggestions -- please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • I did not try signing out and signing back in, so I am trying that now. Thanks @Coach Natalie If not, I'll try @Flopbot suggestion to use my statement. But how do I adjust the opening balance? I'll search the forums for that but if you happen to have a quick reference that would be great. 
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    @Chadjeremy

I was able to simply change it manually, just like you would with any other transaction. The way I did it was essentially two steps.

1. Go transaction by transaction confirming everything on the bank statement is in Simplifi.  With each one, I would check it off on the paper statement and again using the ‘Reviewed’ column in Simplifi…the green check mark in a circle.

2. On the oldest bank statement, once all the transactions were present in Simplifi, I adjusted the opening balance and the opening date to match what my bank statement said.

When that was done, the projected balance graph at the top started working.  Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.
    Chris
  • Interesting. I don't have balance anywhere in the details of the transaction. You must have your account set to manual. I have mine connected to my institution. 

Having said that, I was able to figure it out. I found a transaction that was pending as a positive amount when it was a negative amount already recorded. But it was throwing off my balance by that amount. I was able to delete that transaction and all was good in the world again. 
This discussion has been closed.