Is there a way to convert a reminder into a manual transaction?

SamM
SamM Member
I have a manual cash account, and I've set up a reminder to pay my kids their allowance every two weeks. When I pay them, I would like to convert this reminder into a transaction. I see an option to link it to an existing transaction, but not an option to create a new transaction based on this reminder? I don't want to have to create a new transaction by hand for this every week, and I thought reminders would be the way to do it, but they don't seem to be. Is there a way to convert a reminder into a manual transaction, or set up a recurring manual transaction? Or at least a way to copy a transaction to create a new transaction, so I don't have to enter the payee, category, and amount by hand every week, since it is always the same?

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @SamM,

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the Community!

Unfortunately, there is not currently a way to convert a Reminder into a transaction in Simplifi, as Simplifi is designed to link Reminders to existing transactions in a 1:1 scenario (1 transaction per 1 Reminder).

With that being said, I would suggest creating an Idea post requesting this ability so that other Users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it. 

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• SamM
    SamM Member
    @Coach Natalie Thanks! Is there any other way to create a recurring transaction or even copy a transaction for a manual account?
  • Coach Natalie
    edited December 2021
    Hello @SamM,

That's a great question!

It is my understanding that you can now link manual transactions to Reminders in Simplifi, so you should definitely be able to set up a Recurring Series for the item in question and then manually enter the transaction and link the two. This option, however, would require manual entry of the transaction, as well as manual linking to the Reminder, which may result in more work for you if all you're looking to do is have that manual transaction entered in Simplifi (but could also serve as a reminder to enter the transaction). 

I recall another User recently asking about the ability to duplicate a transaction, and this is not something that is currently available in Simplifi, unfortunately. I suggested that they create an Idea post, but it does not look like that happened. With that being said, you are also more than welcome to create an Idea post requesting the ability to duplicate or copy a transaction in Simplifi -- please be sure to include just one request per Idea post! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • SamM
    SamM Member
    Thanks! When I go to make a new post, the only options it gives me are "New Discussion" and "Ask a Question", so I don't seem to have the authority to suggest an idea. Maybe this is why the other user didn't do it.
  • Coach Natalie
    That's odd @Sam!

Are you attempting to create the post from the Feature Requests section directly? This section only allows Idea posts so the button should say "+ New Idea" with no other options. You should also be able to select "+ New Post" from the Community homepage and then select "New Idea" from the dropdown.

The ability to create an Idea post outside of these sections is not available, so if you're attempting to do so from the Category that this post is in (Managing Your Transactions), then the option would not be available.

Please let me know how it goes! 

-Coach Natalie
  • SamM
    SamM Member
    If I go to either of the links in your most recent response it works, but it doesn't work if I just click New Post from any other page. I had been trying to follow the directions in the link you sent me before, which didn't say I had to be in either of those sections to post a new idea. Those directions might need to be updated.
This discussion has been closed.