Cannot Upload any transactions

Eileen A.
Eileen A. Member
I have tried to upload my downloaded bank transactions (using the csv template). It hasn't worked no matter what I try, even with a coach's help. I removed all special characters, changed the date format to 4 number year date, I've tried no more than 50 transactions, I've tried both Chrome and Safari. I have MS Excel 2011. As a .csv file though, I don't know what difference the software age would make. I just get a pink error message. I'm so fed up with Simplify since trying it out I doubt I will continue to use it. The amount of time wasted with no solution is not worth it. Simplifi does not allow transaction uploads apparently. So what is the difference between Mint and Simplifi, neither of which allow transaction uploads? Oh, the price and frustration level. Does anyone have any solutions that actually work?

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Eileen A.

Hey, sorry to hear you are having troubles with manually uploading to Simplifi.  I have a couple accounts in Simplifi.  Most are set to automatically sync transactions - all in all they sync really well - but one of my banks isn't supported yet (Flagstar Bank).  For that one, I've been manually uploading transactions for around two (2) months with no issues so far.

Like you, I can't imagine that it has anything to do with the year of your Excel (2011).  A .csv file is a .csv file as far as I know.  Maybe @Coach Natalie or someone can weigh in on the technical side of that.  For what it's worth, mine is Excel 2013.  If you have a Google Account, you might also try generating the .csv file in Google Sheets instead just to see if it works any better.

I documented the exact steps I follow which have always led to a successful outcome (click here).  Sorry if they're not the most well written...I did them quickly.  Let me know if something doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify.  I adjusted the settings on the document so you should be able to comment directly in the Google Doc.

Do hang in there with Simplifi and give them a good try.  I've - personally - tried A LOT of software (Mint, YNAB, Quicken Desktop, many many others) and this is the best one I've come across so far.  Yes, it has issues, but I can see the Simplifi team is working hard to resolve them and improve the software.

Good luck!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    Brand new to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Eileen A.,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I am also sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with importing transactions into Simplifi.

Would you mind clarifying what specifically occurs when attempting to import the transactions, i.e. do you receive an error message, or do the transactions just not appear in the register? Is it possible that these transactions have been imported previously and were subsequently deleted, by chance?

I agree that the year of Excel should not make a difference, and I'm not aware of any issues or limitations with this. @Flopbot provided a great step-by-step for you to try out, and I would also suggest taking a look at the information outlined here.

Please let us know how it goes! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Sorry I just saw this. I was just on here to cancel my account. It says "An error occurred. Please try again." Nothing gets uploaded at all. Just the same thing over and over. Doesn't matter how few or how many transactions.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Eileen A.,

Thanks for posting back!

It looks like our Support Team hasn't been able to screen share with you or to fully troubleshoot the issue, as the chats become idle. If you're interested in troubleshooting this further, I would definitely suggest contacting Support directly once again and allowing them to screen share with you so we can get a better idea of what's going on. 

http://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/5077917-how-to-contact-support

If you'd like to just go ahead and cancel your Subscription, however, I can definitely help you with that -- just let me know! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Unfortunately I work too and help is not available after work. I will try to contact help again. But not feeling encouraged. I've never had so much trouble using a "simple" program. So much easier to use Mint.
  • Oh and thank you Chris. I will try Google sheets. At least it's something different from everything I've already tried.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Eileen A.,

Yes, please be sure to let us know if Google Sheets doesn't do the trick!

Out of curiosity, is this occurring with just one account, or are you attempting to import transactions to multiple accounts in Simplifi? And are the account(s) manual or connected to the bank? Also, have you been able to take a look at the steps outlined here to make sure that you're properly formatting the CSV file, and to look for any other indications of what could be occurring, by chance? 

If this is occurring with just one account, do you have any other data entered in the account already? If not, you may consider deleting the account and then re-creating it to see if you are then able to import transactions to it. You may also consider creating a new manual "test" account to see if the transactions will import there. 

Another thing I'd suggest is trying from a different browser, and/or in incognito mode, to see if anything changes with either of those options, as it may be something on the browser specifically that's blocking the import. 

In lieu of screen sharing with Support, you are more than welcome to record a video of what you're seeing and upload it via our Secure File Exchange so I can personally take a closer look. I definitely understand that everyone has different schedules and that it may be hard to engage with Support during our business hours, so I will do my absolute best to help you here in the Community. 

Please let me know how it goes with the above-mentioned steps! :smile:

-Coach Natalie 
  • ok thank you.
  • Just one account. I tried creating a new bank account and uploading manual transactions, same message every time.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Eileen A.,

Thanks for confirming some details! Please be sure to let me know how it goes with the rest of the above-suggested steps. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Eileen A.
    Eileen A. Member
    @Flopbot You were absolutely right!! It worked using Google Sheets. The help person said it may have something to do with older fonts or something, he ran into it with someone using an older Excel pc version.
This discussion has been closed.