Recurring Transaction Issue

tapierce
tapierce Member ✭✭✭
edited January 25 in Report a Bug
Hi,
I've run into a common scenario with the recurring bills.  I received a notification that I have upcoming bills in the web app.  I clicked on the notification which brought me to the upcoming bills tab.  I then clicked on one of the notifications that was labeled "Past" to link it up with the existing transaction as the transaction should have been completed Dec. 5th.  When I clicked on the "Link to transaction" option the existing transaction was not in the list so I could not link it.  So I then went to my transactions list and found the transaction that did indeed happen back on the 5th.  However, the transaction was already linked to the recurring bill with a cleared status. So why, then, do I still have a notice about an overdue bill that I can't do anything with?  I've attached a couple of screen captures with the details.

Of note, I then went in to view the transfer in Settings/Recurring and for some reason it's listed under the "Bills" section instead of the "Transfers" section even though the transaction has a Type of "Transfer".

~Terry

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." ~ Paul Ehrlich

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @tapierce,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue in Simplifi.

Thank you also for the screenshots -- these are super helpful! Would you mind also uploading a screenshot of the Recurring Series History for the example provided above, showing that the transaction has already been linked to the Reminder that's showing as 'Past' in the Upcoming section?

Thank you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • tapierce
    tapierce Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi Natalie,
    Here’s the screenshot you requested.  However there is no history for this bill/transfer since I just set it up in November. If there’s anything else you need please let me know.

[edited image to reduce size and redact personal info]
    ~Terry

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." ~ Paul Ehrlich
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @tapierce,

Thank you for providing the requested screenshot!

Is it possible that there was a double Reminder for some reason? I've personally seen double Reminders pop up a few times, and although I haven't been able to pinpoint what's caused them, I usually just delete the duplicate and then don't see any other issues with it.

I usually determine this by looking at the Spending Plan, however, since you're seeing this with a 'Transfer', it wouldn't show in the Spending Plan. With that being said, I would suggest un-linking the transaction from the Series to 1. See if any additional Reminders pop up, and 2. See if you can then link the Reminder to the transaction, or vice versa (link the transaction to the Series), to see if that helps to clear things up.

Also, is this the only Series that you're seeing this with? If so, since the Series is pretty new, you may even consider deleting and recreating it, which should also hopefully clear up the issue with seeing it under "Bills" instead of "Transfers" in the Recurring section.

Please let me know how it goes! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • tapierce
    tapierce Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Hi Natalie,

I think I found the problem.  I had two recurring transfers set up for the same transaction. 🙄 So I’m sure this was the issue.  I deleted both of them and recreated it so hopefully it will go through smoothly in Jan.  

I do, however, have a similar situation with several other transfers.  They all recur around the beginning of each month and are mostly transfers from checking to savings accounts.  The issue is that the recurring transactions never connect with the downloaded transactions  from my bank, therefore I always end up with a bunch of outstanding reminders, duplicate transactions, and a mess to clean up.  This has been happening since I started using Simplifi.  I’ve worked with support several times in the past on this issue yet we never got it working so I kinda gave up on it. Essentially they had me recreate the transfers a few different ways (from each end) with different dates on the recurring reminders (I.e. day before they come thru from my bank, the day of, the day after)  but with no luck. 

The strange thing is that it seems to only be happening with recurring transfers.  I have many other recurring bills & subscriptions set up yet those all seem to come through smoothly with an occasional exception.

If you have any suggestions I’d appreciate it.

Happy holidays! 🎄
    ~Terry

• Coach Natalie
    edited December 2021
    Hello @tapierce,

Thanks for posting back, and I'm glad to hear that you got everything figured out!

In regards to transactions not automatically being linked to your Reminders, unfortunately, there's not a whole lot we can do for this other than manually link them. Simplifi is designed to learn over time, so manually linking them will help to increase the odds that they'll be automatically linked in the future. 

More details on this process can be found here, however, please be sure to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.