Cannot add Merrill Edge or Etrade accounts

Spence
Spence Member
I am setting up Simplifi for the first time and I cannot add Merrill Edge or Etrade accounts. The Merrill Edge gives me an FDP-106 which seems to suggest my Merrill account has been connected before but I just opened my Simplifi account. Etrade gives me an FDP-107. I have checked that I can get into both accounts sites individually with the credentials provided.
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Spence,

Thank you for taking the time to report this to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties connecting to both Merrill Edge and E*Trade in Simplifi.

For the 106 error with Merrill Edge, I was able to confirm this from my end and went ahead and got it reported. I will be sure to post back as soon as I receive an update on the Ticket.

For the 107 error with E*Trade, this error indicates that the wrong option for the financial institution is being selected from the bank list. With E*Trade specifically, we suggest using the option listed as "Quicken E*TRADE":

Please let me know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

CTP-3269
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    Hi @Coach Natalie

The Etrade fix above worked. 

Still having issues with Merrill Edge.

thanks, 

Spence
  • Coach Natalie
    Glad to hear that you were able to get E*Trade connected, @Spence!

For the issue with Merrill Edge, I will be sure to let you know as soon as I receive an update on the escalation. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    @Coach Natalie any updates on this?
  • Coach Natalie
    No update as of yet @Spence, but I will be sure to let you know as soon as I see one. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Spence,

Thank you for your continued patience!

Sadly, it looks like the 106 errors with Merrill Edge have become a widespread issue. With that being said, would you mind attempting to reconnect/re-add your Merrill Edge account(s) using the option listed as "Merrill Lynch Online Payment" in Simplifi? We've seen success with this option, so fingers crossed!

Please let me know how it goes! 

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @Spence,

Were you able to give this a try, by chance? Please let us know how it goes! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    Hi @Coach Natalie, I have tried the ‘Merrill Lynch Online Payment’ and it did successfully link my Merrill Edge Account! Thanks for the help. 

Is there a account type in Simplifi for “cash management account”? Basically an account with both cash and stock in it? I’d like to be able capture the activity in account and not just treat it as brokerage account.
  • Coach Natalie
    Glad to hear it @Spence!

For your inquiry on a cash management account, are you referring to a manual account that you'd be tracking in Simplifi, or are you looking to connect the account to the bank? If the latter, does the financial institution treat the account as a separate account, or does the brokerage account contain cash holdings in addition to stock or other holdings?

Please let me know so I can best assist!

-Coach Natalie 
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    @Coach Natalie

The account is latter, it's a brokerage account that contains cash holdings in addition to stock or other holdings. It's not broken into two different accounts.

thanks, 

Spencer
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Spence,

Gotcha!

Out of curiosity, is this the Merrill Edge (Lynch) account that's in question? Also, is the balance displayed in the Accounts List for this account correct? And what about the balance displayed in the Investments section? The reason I ask is that the balance in the Accounts List is what's fed by the bank directly, and the balance in the Investments section is based on the holdings that are displayed within the account, so this will help us to determine if the missing cash holdings are causing a balance discrepancy in either of these locations in Simplifi.

In regards to holdings specifically, we technically can't guarantee holdings info in Simplifi, however, we definitely don't want what is displayed to be incomplete or inaccurate, or for it to cause an issue with your balance. With that being said, would you mind providing some screenshots, please? It would be great to see the holdings page in Simplifi for the account in question, as well as the balance displayed in the Accounts List, and then a comparison screenshot of the account balance and holdings displayed at the bank's website. You can DM these to me for privacy if you prefer. :smile:

Thank you! 

-Coach Natalie
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    Hi @Coach Natalie

Yes, this is a Merrill (Lynch) Edge account. The balance is correct. My main problem is that the activity on the account is not represented and then the cash value of the account is not represented in the "Banking" tab of the dashboard, accounts etc. Also it's affecting my overall cash flow equation because the activity and transactions on the account are not being factored in. It just appears as investment balance value.

I can provide screenshots but would definitely need instructions on how to securely DM those.

thanks 

Spencer
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Spence,

Thanks for confirming the issue!

To clarify, investment transactions are not currently supported in Simplifi so you won't see these in your Projected Cash Flow, the Investments section, or anywhere else in the program. We do have some investment upgrades on the way, including the ability to see your investment transactions, so please be sure to follow along here for updates.

What you will see in your investment accounts, in addition to the balance, is your holdings and holdings details; however, as I mentioned above, we can't guarantee holdings information, but we will do what we can to get it for you. Please be sure to check out our Support Articles here, here, and here for more details on tracking investments in Simplifi.

With that being said, I do need to know about the balance(s) that you're seeing in Simplifi, so would you mind providing the answer to the above asked questions, please? Is the balance displayed in the Accounts List for this account correct? And what about the balance displayed in the Investments section? Additionally, do these two balances differ within the program in any way?

Screenshots would be great! You can either DM those to me here in the Community or I can email you a link to our Secure File Exchange and you can upload them there -- just let me know. Please also include the name of the account in question, as it appears in Simplifi. 

Much appreciated! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    @Coach Natalie would you be able to email a secure file exchange link for screenshots?

With regards to the balance, it is correct. Both in the accounts list and in the investment sections. They don’t appear to differ. The cash balance in the account is under a “ML Bank Deposit Program” security/holding tag. I think if the investment account could also show transactions/activity in Simplifi that would remedy the problem here. 

I only have two days left on my trial. Is this going to be something that can be resolved in near future?
  • Coach Natalie
    edited February 1
    Hello @Spence,

Thanks for confirming the balance details!

I have gone ahead and emailed you a link to our Secure File Exchange -- just let me know once everything is uploaded, please.

In regards to your trial, I went ahead and added a little bit of time so that you can get full use of the program. However, I have no way of knowing how long the escalation will take or if the issue will be able to be resolved, as we technically can't guarantee holdings information. With that being said, please feel free to reach back out at the beginning of March if a resolution has yet to be reached.

Otherwise, please let me know once the screenshots are ready for me! :smile:

-Coach Natalie 
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    @Coach Natalie the screenshots from Simplifi, ML holdings and ML activity for the account have been uploaded. They may have slightly different balance since wasn’t simultaneous capture.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Spence,

Thanks for uploading screenshots!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to identify the missing cash holdings based on the screenshots. In fact, I'm seeing more holdings displayed in Simplifi than I'm seeing on the screenshot of the holdings from your bank, and most of them don't seem to be the same as far as I can tell, so we'd be unable to properly compare.

I apologize for any confusion -- to clarify, we will need to see the full list of the holdings that are displayed on your bank's website (including the cash portion that's missing in Simplifi), as well as a full list of the holdings displayed for the account in Simplifi showing that the cash holdings are missing. My Team will need a full comparison in order to investigate.

The Secure File link should still be good to use, however, please let me know if you need a new one and/or when the new screenshots are uploaded.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Spence
    Spence Member
    Hi @Coach Natalie, the cash holdings aren’t missing under the account in Simplifi, they are captured under the holding title that is just a number (starting with 99) And then the number of shares matches the dollar value amount. I took the screenshots of how the cash is represented on both platforms. The investment holdings align overall but since the cash is being classified as investment holding it isn’t being factored into overall cash flow. The other part of the issue is the fact that transactions, in particular with the cash, in the account that are not shown in Simplifi. So basically cash flow equation is not factoring this account. I don’t think showing all the holdings, which would take multiple screenshots, is going to change that aspect of the problem. 
  • Coach Natalie
    edited February 2
    Hello @Spence,

My apologies -- I was under the impression that the cash holdings were missing in Simplifi. Thanks for clarifying!

Sadly, I think this brings us back around to what I originally stated about including investments in your Projected Cash Flow. Also, since the cash holdings are part of the investment account, they will be tracked in Simplifi under the one account since they're all under one account with the bank. And since your balance is correct on the account in question and the holdings are all being included, there's not really anything else that we can do from our end. 

Additionally, Projected Cash Flow is based on upcoming items only such as Recurring Reminders, future-dated transactions, expected Refunds, etc., so I'm not sure that investment transactions will be included in Cash Flow even after the investment upgrades are made. We shall see though!

In the meantime, you may consider tracking the cash portion of the account as a manual checking account, or something along those lines, so that you can have transactions in it and have it included in your Projected Cash Flow. You'd then most likely want to track the investment account manually as well if you're looking to remove the cash holdings from it, as it doesn't appear that you can delete holdings from a connected investment account.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.