Please add "variable" or partial payee names so that renaming rules don't have to be exact!

Zion
Zion Member
edited January 12 in Managing your Transactions
I mean a renaming rule that includes a payee "variable" or partial payee name

Lets say I eat at restaurant called "Joes"

Every time they run a transaction there is a random number or date at the end such as "Joes 12/3 23xcf4"

Can you create a renaming rule that if the payee contains "Joes" it will ignore that other crap behind it?  Right now it seems renaming rules have to match the payee exactly and often times my bank or the restaurant adds the other stuff and it is never the same.

This is a feature the many other apps have!  Beer is on me if you implement this.  Thank you!

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @Zion,

Thanks for posting to the Community regarding Payee Rules!

I went ahead and moved this out of Feature Requests, as, from my understanding, Simplifi already does this. When creating a Payee Rule, you'll want to use keywords for Simplifi to watch out for to rename the Payee by, so it doesn't have to be exact. Simplifi will then keep an eye on your downloaded transactions and will use the information provided by the bank for the Payee (so the "Appears on your statement as..." info) to identify those keyword(s).

With that being said, for the example that you provided above, have you tried creating a Payee Rule using the keyword of just "Joes"? Since these transactions always come into Simplifi with that same word, doing so should allow Simplifi to effectively identify it and rename the Payee accordingly. 

If you're seeing an issue with Payees not being renamed according to the Rules that you have set up, please be sure to let us know and provide specific examples so we can take a closer look. 

More details on using Transactions Rules in Simplifi can be found here. Please let me know how it goes! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file