How should we handle overspending in the plan?

LtDan1912
LtDan1912 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 18 in Using the Spending Plan
Hello, I am fairly new to Simplifi, and I'm trying to get a handle on how overspending should be handled (or if it should be handled). 

I've seen the article on the Spending Plan and while it discusses how to handle "underspending" (by releasing funds), it does not mention overspending.

I am coming from a zero-based budget where we were expected to account for every overage by taking from another category. In Simplifi, I suspect that there is nothing to "do" and that overspending just gets reflected in my "available to spend".

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Dan
Simplifi (2022-Present)
YNAB (2014-2022)
Mint (2010-2014)
Quicken (1999-2010)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @LtDan1912,

That's a great question!

When it comes to resolving outstanding items in the Spending Plan, you're correct that this has to do with underspending and needing to release funds, or having unpaid Bills/unreceived Income. 

With that being said, hopefully some other Users come along with great feedback on how they've handled overspending in the program, however, from a technical standpoint, there really is nothing extra to do as the amount is reflected in your 'Available' funds, whether over or under.

I hope this helps! :blush:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.