Death by a thousand cuts!

Norm
Norm Member
edited May 19 in Feedback
I have been using financial software for decades. I gave up on Quicken because of the endless series of bugs/glitches/crashes. I had high hopes for Simplifi because it was (hopefully) a clean codebase and because it was web based.

The web interface is nice. The app is painfully slow. The website is also impossible to use on very low powered devices. I'm OK with those limitations.

However, the PRIMARY function of software like this is the ability to aggregate account balances. Before any kind of budgeting, or forecasting, or savings wizards or anything else it must be able to accurately and consistently give me a list of account balances.

I think this software is going down the same path Quicken did on the desktop. In the attempt to address every issue and provide more eye candy, it's failing in its primary function.

I have a manual account that I use to track home property value using data from Zillow (I know it's not accurate, but it's good for entertainment purposes). The account has 15 entries and for the last few days Simplifi has reported the last entry as the account total instead of the sum of all entries. At a MINIMUM, I would expect software to be able to correctly provide account totals.

It's one thing to not support a bank or CU. It's another thing to support it for a year, then not support it, then give zero feedback for months as to the situation. Telling me that the issue remains unresolved is insulting. I can SEE that it's unresolved. Adding insult to injury, after converting the accounts to manual, they need "fudge factors" to align the accounts with the actual bank balances. Simplifi has also decided that they won't support a running balance column - which is the easiest way to find reconciliation mistakes.

There are many issues that are so obvious and so simple that it remains laughable that they still exist AFTER people point them out. Having no way to show/hide closed accounts is an excellent example.

Having users report problems with balance calculations is alpha version stuff.

Maybe I'm the only one, but simply having ACCURATE web based ledger accounts would be useful enough for me to pay for. I would give up all the eye candy for accurate account aggregation. It is rapidly devolving into a situation where I don't trust the Simplifi values and have to log into the individual websites to confirm/verify. I've cancelled my auto-renew but I hope this turns around soon.

</rant>

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited March 9
    Hello @Norm,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and with the Community, and I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations with Simplifi!

You are always more than welcome to create separate posts for any issues that you're seeing in Simplifi and we will do our absolute best to help. However, for the balance issue on your manual property account, this is most likely being caused by a known issue regarding incorrect balances on manual accounts. We have a Community Alert for this issue that can be followed here for updates: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/2915/new-2-15-22-balances-changes-incorrect-on-manual-accounts/p1?new=1

Also, although our Product Team has declined to add a running balance column, they definitely haven't declined the ability to reconcile accounts, which has also been requested here in the Community. If this is something that you'd like to see in Simplifi, please be sure to add your vote and feedback here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/156/reconciliation#latest

I hope this helps! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • Norm
    Norm Member
    Now it's actually worse. I now have two more manual accounts that can't correctly sum values.

In one of these accounts, I have deleted all values except for an initial incoming transfer from another account. The account shows the transaction correctly for "+$250", but the dashboard shows an account balance of "-$250".

This is pathetic - made worse by the fact that there's no way to reconcile an account other than to add "fudge factor" entries. I now have a category "Simplifi Screwup".

The notices from Simplifi that "we're aware there's a problem and we're working on it" are now more frequent - that's about the only positive thing I've seen so far.
  • Norm
    Norm Member
    edited April 5
    Now I have one manual account that's incorrect but not changing and another manual account that's changing often. At this point, I simply have to check the CU balance - almost entirely defeating the point of Simplifi. I have found a competing product that does crazy things like correctly add and subtract - as well as other things like hide closed accounts. I like MONARCH butterflies.
  • micram495
    micram495 Member
    edited April 19
    I agree with all this.  I am having many issues with basic things like summing manual accounts and spending plans.  Net worth as a result is not accurate, and worse the amount available to spend in a month is not accurate. If the amount available to spend in a month is wrong, it is useless as a budgeting tool.

It would be one thing if the service was free, but I am paying for it.  Really wondering why I renewed it when it constantly has problems like this
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Thanks for posting, @micram495, although I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. 

To have the issues that you're experiencing addressed, you'll want to go ahead and create a separate post in the applicable section of the Community for each of the issues that you're seeing, and we'd be happy to take a closer look.

https://community.simplifimoney.com/

We look forward to working to resolve these matters for you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.