Why are my Discover credit card transactions appearing as both expenses and income?

clawrimore
clawrimore Member
edited August 2022 in Adding and Updating Accounts
My Discover credit card transactions seem to be appearing as both expenses and income. For example, when I go to the Transactions tab and select my Discover card, I can see a transaction where I spent $11.11 at Chick-Fil-A, and then the same day another transaction that says +11.11. Screenshot attached. It does this for all of my credit card transactions, but no other accounts.

Any ideas?

Edit: Looks like something similar is happening with PayPal, but the duplicate transactions that appear as income have the Payee listed as "Deposit X" (X being a string of numbers) instead of the actual Payee.

Comments

• Taylor E
    Taylor E Member
    I'm seeing the same behavior for my Discover card for all transactions in the month of June.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @clawrimore & @Taylor E,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're both seeing duplicate transactions in Simplifi.

It looks like this occurred for both of you due to a known issue that is most likely caused by not refreshing the account often enough. We are working to resolve this issue, however, there is currently no ETA on a resolution. In the meantime, we suggest deleting the duplicate transactions that shouldn't be there (the positive ones), and then making sure to update your accounts at least once a week. 

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

-Coach Natalie
  • clawrimore
    clawrimore Member
    Hello @clawrimore & @Taylor E,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're both seeing duplicate transactions in Simplifi.

It looks like this occurred for both of you due to a known issue that is most likely caused by not refreshing the account often enough. We are working to resolve this issue, however, there is currently no ETA on a resolution. In the meantime, we suggest deleting the duplicate transactions that shouldn't be there (the positive ones), and then making sure to update your accounts at least once a week. 

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

-Coach Natalie

Thanks for your response. If it helps with bug fixing: I check Simplifi multiple times a week if not daily, so I would be surprised if this occurred because I wasn't refreshing frequently enough. Will an update be posted here once the issue is confirmed resolved?

Thanks
    Charlie
  • Coach Natalie
    Thanks for the additional info, @clawrimore!

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to track the known issue to provide meaningful updates on it. Because it is a case-by-case occurrence where we'd need to gather specific example transactions and check them in our system, we wouldn't consider it to be a widespread or common issue. If anything changes in this regard, however, we will be sure to create a Community Alert accordingly. 

Also, if this issue continues to occur for you down the road and you'd like to check to see if it's still part of the known issue, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us and we'd be happy to take a closer look. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • clawrimore
    clawrimore Member
    edited July 2022
    @Coach Natalie It appears that no transactions are showing up for my Discover card this month. I see the transactions on the Discover website, but I only see June transactions in Simplifi. I have deleted and re-added www.discoverbank.com as an institution.

Edit: I looked back at my June Discover transactions. The duplicate transactions are now gone, but all of my expenses have been marked as income. Surely I'm not the only person experiencing this issue?

• Coach Natalie
    Hello @clawrimore,

Thanks for posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing further issues with your Discover account in Simplifi.

Sadly, we've had some issues pop up with Discover Bank and Discover Card not updating transactions and/or returning a "You have already added all your accounts at this bank" error; our Community Alert for the issue is available here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/3528/new-7-6-22-issues-with-discover-bank-and-discover-card-accounts/p1?new=1

With that said, I strongly suspect that you may be being impacted by the known issue, however, if you'd like to provide a comparison screenshot of the transactions displayed on the bank's website, as well as specify which specific transactions you're experiencing the issue with, we'd be happy to take a closer look. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • clawrimore
    clawrimore Member
    edited July 2022
    -disregard this last message, didn't realize posts were split-
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @clawrimore,

The comments have been split to a new Discussion, and a response has already been posted here: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/comment/10141/#Comment_10141

- Coach Natalie
  • clawrimore
    clawrimore Member
    @Coach Natalie Thanks, I didn't get the notification until I'd already posted that comment. Sorry about that, I was a bit quick to the draw there.
This discussion has been closed.