"Ignore in spending plan" -- goals

Options
Nomadic Cat
Nomadic Cat Member
edited September 2022 in Using the Spending Plan
I see that the spending plan is really a balance sheet of incoming and outgoing. I have excess money to put towards goals from previous months (I guess). So if I contribute to goals above the amount coming in this month I get an overspent warning. However if I check "ignore in spending plan" for goals I make the overspent go away. Is this how I should be using it? I'm trying to wrap my head around it. simple example:

• Income for aug: 5k
  • Amount in spending plan (bills/sub/planned spending): 5k
  • Bank account: 7k (5 + 2k)
  • Allocate the extra 2k to goals
  • I am now overspent by 2k unless I click "Ignore" in the goal. Just not sure what the consequence is for next month. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Nomadic Cat

My understanding is that Simplifi is designed to be a month-to-month budgeting and tracking app.  For this reason the Spending Plan works only with the inflow and outflow for a given month and doesn’t take into account funds already in your accounts or funds left over from a previous month. For this reason Simplifi thinks you have overspent for this month since it is only working with this months $5,000 income and is not taking into account the preexisting $2,000, thus the overspending issue.

I believe you can use “Ignore from Spending Plan” or you could use the Saved so far feature when you initially set up your goal to move the preexisting cash into your Savings Goals without affecting your current month Spending Plan. 
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.