budget rollover

smithmark02
smithmark02 Member
edited September 2022 in Using the Spending Plan
Hello, If we have a planned spending limit around "Dining & Drinks" but we don't use all of what we limit in a given month, we want that to roll over and be available for the next month.  Is this possible?  Any alternative suggestions if not possible.

Thanks!
Mark
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @smithmark02 The short answer is No, it's not possible.  Simplifi is designed to work with your current months income and expenses.  The idea is to look at this months anticipated income form all sources and then plan out how you intend to spend that money this month.  This of course includes any savings goals you have set up. I've been using Simplifi since the first of this year and month by month I've come to appreciate this app more and more.

One if the things I've come to appreciate is that Simplifi helps me to take a fresh look at my spending plan for each new month.  Replacing "budget" with "spending plan" has changed the way I think about my financial management process - This is my plan for the income I will receive this month.  Since this is a month to month planning tool, rolling over "left over" money from tis month to next isn't currently supported.

There is quite a bit of discussion about adding a rollover ability in the Spending plan and if you do a search for "rollover" in this forum you can see this is an active point of discussion in this forum.  You might want to check out this discussions in particular:
    https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/3574/we-want-your-feedback-on-the-spending-plan
    https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/114/add-budget-spending-plan-start-each-new-month-with-the-previous-months-leftover-amount-option

The only suggestion I have for your particular example is that is you anticipate spending more on "Dining & Drinks" this month then you did last month would be to increase what you plan to spend this month in your Spending Plan,

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer

Answers

This discussion has been closed.