More detailed CSV imports (categories, description, notes) [edited]

corefi
corefi Member ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Feature Requests
Currently, the csv import is pretty neutered in that you can only import basic information. At a minimum, Simplifi should support being able to import what it can export. E.g.
accountstatepostedOnpayeecategorytagsnotesamountactionsecuritydescriptionquantitypricecommission
However, I think this should be expanded to all the fields Simplifi supports for transactions (expand export and import).
35 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• corefi
    corefi Member ✭✭
    Also category and sub-category.
  • Gonzalo
    Gonzalo Member

It'd be really helpful for new users that when trying to import transactions with a CSV file, you could add the column "Categories", as adding them manually for thousands of transactions is a bit daunting. The requirement/restriction should be that the categories' names should be exactly as already defined in Simplifi.

Same with the "Tag" column. It should be the "Notes" column instead of "Tags" for import transactions.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

• How would you propose handling subcategories versus main categories, where two subcategories under different main categories could have the same name? Would it be "main→sub" or just "main" or just "sub" where main and sub are the category names.

• In other words

cat1 → cat2 (cat 1 is main cat 2 is sub)

could also be

cat3 → cat2 (cat 3 is main, cat 2 is sub, but is not the same cat2 as above, but has the same name)

• Also, i think there have been idea posts to nest more than 1-2 levels deep with categories, how will this grow with that if that happens?
    • I'm not voting until I have some idea how this might work.

Rob Wilkens

• Gonzalo
    Gonzalo Member

Couple options. 1. Import through CSV Files would let you add both: Categories and Sub-Categories, and names can't be the same for any Category and Sub-Category, to avoid any confusion. 2. The "Category" column could be just one but will have the concatenated name for both. This is: "Category Group - Subcategory" all in one cell separated by a hyphen or other defined symbol. Then when importing, Simplifi could split the info into Category Group and Subcategory back again.

Also very important to consider adding the "Notes" column to the Import File. Many people moving from other apps (YNAB, etc), have notes (descriptions) in a lot, if not all, of the transactions.

• FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭

Quicken supported categories and subcategories using colon or pipe inside paychecks when you needed both but only had one field. This could be used in a csv when importing

Example:

Vacation:Dining

Or

Food|Dining

• FinTechMan
    FinTechMan Member ✭✭

+1 I am still waiting for this. I have data in quicken I want to start moving over. Even if it is just 1 year and I have to do it via csv one account at a time, I want all my data in one place.

• +1 on importing 'Category' and 'Notes' - I'm new user with 10K transactions imported that I need to categorize it manually. Thinking twice.

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭

yeah … seems really bad design to not have a powerful CSV import engine to make it easy to start using Simplifi - vs requiring more manual effort …

• ps56k
    ps56k Member ✭✭✭

this is what Mint exports -

and this is what Simplifi has as an Import “template”

• Fletcherr
    Fletcherr Member ✭✭

Yes please. One of many Mint refugees here battling with getting my history into simplify. I understand the possible issue with sub categories having the same name as someone noted above (food/dining vs vacation/dining) But I'd happily work around that and rename one of them to something unique which I generally do anyway.

To anyone else in this boat looking for solutions: The best workaround I've come up with is to back load all my historical transactions into an archive manual account, putting the mint category as the tag to allow filtering and mass re-categorizing. Yes, it's still a lot of work, yes you lose your tags and notes but at least you maintain your split transactions and stand a chance at using the 'tag' to filter on. I've only tested a handful of transactions but seems like this will work. I might also try to concatenate Mint_Category&Mint_Tag during the load but that might get messy too so TBD.

• Christaaay
    Christaaay Member ✭✭✭

really need the notes from Mint

• jhez94
    jhez94 Member

I can't see to find a way to import the data with preexisting category data already included. It seems like I have to completely recategorize all my data, which could be thousands of transactions.

Even data exported from Simplifi (which includes category data) does not seem to be able to reimported back in.

Is there a way to import data with category field included?

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

Never mind, the mint import will now bring in categories and original statement text.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/8545901-how-to-import-transactions-from-mint

I voted for a feature request regarding including the original statement text in the CSV export.

Simplifi User Since Nov 2023

Minter 2014-2023

Questionable Excel before 2014 to present

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8

Hope the Mint import format is available after Mint is gone to be able to import categories into Simplifi. The standard import template does not allow category import.

This feature will be useful for those with accounts not supported by bank connections.

Minter 2014-2023

• Allo an option to import data in the same format as the export CSV file. Also allow the category field to be imported. Allow the import of the "Amount" column to match the default format of ($XX,XXX.XX).

• Or allow the data to be automatically categorized as it is imported - similar to the way it is automatically categorized when it comes in from the bank/institution.

• UrsulaA
    UrsulaA Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22

Your idea is already listed. Start with more than one vote to increase the chances of consideration.

[removed link to merged thread]

Minter 2014-2023