How to get correct recurring date when converting a transaction to recurring

Options
Pieter
Pieter Member
edited November 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
I noticed that my past due is full of yearly subs that are only due next year.
Looks to me like when I convert a transaction to recurring, and select e.g. yearly, that the next payment date is not updated as one would naturally expect.

I inadvertently end up creating recurring's with a next date being next month instead.
Now I have almost all my recurring's I created over past two months to have a recurrence date of this month, vs. a year from how.

I looked at the recurring series editor, there is no created date, or link to first transaction that I can use as a hint.
I now need look at all recurring's, look at the next date, figure out which ones are wrong, then for each search the transactions for the last instance, then use that date + 1 year as the next date.

All because the recurring creator did not update the next date per the period I selected.

Is there an easier way to fix this?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Pieter,

To assist in troubleshooting, would you be able to include several screenshots from one (1) of your problematic Recurring Series:
    1. "Edit Series" (Simplifi > Settings > Recurring > Edit Series)
    2. "View Series" (Simplifi > Settings > Recurring > View Series)
    3. "Transactions" (Simplifi > Transactions > Filter to just show problematic transactions.)
    With this info, I think someone in the community should be able to help you.  It sounds to me that you simply set them up as MONTHLY by mistake and want to change them to YEARLY.  That's an easy mistake to make - I've done it myself - and should be easily fixed.

Without the screenshots, I'd recommend doing all your troubleshooting from (Simplifi > Settings > Recurring).  This area - as opposed to "Upcoming" and the "Spending Plan" - offers a complete list of all your recurring transactions and is the easiest location I've found when it comes to troubleshooting.  Note that when you Edit Series, you can adjust both the "Next Date" and the "Frequency".  With those two options, you should be able to tweak/fix any of your problematic Recurring to whatever you wish (Every month, Every year, etc.).

Let us know if this didn't answer your question.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @Pieter,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I apologize that you experienced this behavior in Simplifi.

If you'd like to provide the exact steps you took in Simplifi to create the Recurring Series' in question, I'd be happy to see if I can replicate the issue and identify any bugs. Otherwise, I'd suggest performing the steps that @Flopbot mentioned above by editing the Recurring Series' under Settings>Recurring to correct the 'Frequency' as well as the 'Next Date'.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Pieter
    Pieter Member
    Options
    " It sounds to me that you simply set them up as MONTHLY by mistake and want to change them to YEARLY."

Not by mistake, by incorrectly assuming the app is not braindead, I am used to other apps that know that when I say yearly to change the next date to to a year from this transaction date, I did not expect that I need to set the recurrence AND change the next date.
This discussion has been closed.