Cash Balance Investment

Options
bsmorovitz
bsmorovitz Member
edited November 2022 in Investments
What would be the best way to manually enter/update a cash balance pension plan that is not available for linking?  I used to be able to enter the account and make updates/balance adjustments over time but ever since the new investment transaction features went live, it requires a security/ticker.  Not able to just track CASH.  Please advise.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @bsmorovitz,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

To clarify, are you attempting to add cash to a manual investment account via the Simplifi Web App or the Mobile App? If the former, you may do so by navigating to the Investments section and then clicking the +Add button. You'll then want to select the 'Cash' tab. More details on this can be found here

If you're using the Simplifi Mobile App instead, you'll want to navigate to the account directly and then click the 'Add Holding or Cash' button. You'll then want to select the 'Cash' tab. More details on this can be found here

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @bsmorovitz

Unintended consequences?  Anyway, I wonder if you could reclassify it as a Banking account instead of an Investment account. If so, I think this would make it possible to make the updates and balance adjustments?
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • bsmorovitz
    Options
    Natalie's answer did get me where I wanted to go. However, I would have hoped for a more elegant answer such as being able to select "CASH" as a security type/symbol when entering/editing transactions.
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @bsmorovitz

I think you should make this a Feature Request to add "Cash" as a security type since Cash is part of many investment portfolios.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @bsmorovitz,

I'm glad you were able to get cash added to your investment account!

When it comes to Investment Transactions, you can use the "Payment/Deposit" Category to enter cash transactions. However, doing so won't help with what you're looking to do, as Investment Transactions don't impact your account balance or Portfolio Value in any way. More details on using Investment Transactions can be found here

Let us know if you have any further questions!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.