Spending Plan - Other Spending not showing correct information

MrGood
MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2022 in Report a Bug
The other spending summation in the left hand pane does not match the underlying transactions.  This is the same result with 'Early Access' turned off.  

Shouldn't the left-hand side show $39 also (instead of $15)?
Tagged:

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you have "some" planned spending for gym?  I.e.  is your regular planned gym spending $24/month for black card, and this was the once a year fee?  $15 might be the difference andwhen you get your regular monthly gym bill separately it will "correct"

Rob Wilkens

• MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @RobWilk -- Thanks for your insight on this.  I don't have any Planned Spending for the Fitness category (or the Gym subcategory either).

The transaction in question in the screenshot is the annual membership fee.  I do have a separate monthly charge configured as a recurring subscription within Simplifi.  However, I have not linked this recurring transaction to THIS charge (i.e., the monthly subscription is still noted as Upcoming and not paid within the spending plan, hence why this is showing up in Other spending). 

Additionally, I also looked at the actual charge amounts too and while they are close they don't match.  Assuming there is a bonafide bug, then 'other spend' should be ending up with $16.01 and not $15.00.

[other spend charge] - [subscription charge]

$39 - $22.99 = $16.01

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may not be helpful, but I also have exactly one (pending) transaction on my 'other spending' area, and it is correct in the 'other spending' amount.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @MrGood,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you're seeing a discrepancy with Other Spending.

The only thing I can think of is if you have an expected Refund setup. I believe expected Refunds will be calculated into the Other Spending total, but won't show in the transactions or bubbles.

Please take a look and let us know!

-Coach Natalie
  • MrGood
    MrGood Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie -- BINGO!  An expected refund was the culprit.  Quite the sneaky one.  I had checked the transactions in the register, didn't notice anything, and hence why I was racking my brain over this.

Separately, I looked in both help articles for the refund tracker as well as the spending plan and didn't see the 'refunds-do-not-show-in-spending-plan' quirk.  Might be useful to mention in case someone else runs across this issue.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2022
    Hello @MrGood,

Yay, I'm glad we got to the bottom of things!

I'll get a note added to both the Spending Plan and the Refund Tracker Support Articles to help other users moving forward.

I personally think it would be helpful to show Refunds in the Other Spending area of the Spending Plan to avoid confusion, and we actually have an Idea post requesting this if you'd like to add your vote and feedback. :wink:

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1163/show-expected-refunds-in-spending-plan-edited

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.