Ignore *part* of a transaction from Spending Plan?

Options
myllanac
myllanac Member
edited December 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
I'm paid biweekly and received three paychecks in September. I set aside one of the paychecks as a Savings Goal, knowing I'd be drawing from that bump in September over the coming months (particularly for Christmas spending).

I'm subtracting ("Withdraw from goal - Withdraw to spend for goal") from the Savings Goal each time an applicable transaction comes through. I then mark "Ignore from Spending Plan", as I understand everything "downstream" from setting aside the original money into the Savings Goal can now be hidden in the Spending Plan.

If I have say $100 left in the goal, but a $250 Amazon charge that is all Christmas spending, is there a way to withdraw the $100 from the Savings Goal and *also* hide/ignore $100 *of the $250* transaction in the Spending Plan?

Could I delete the auto-import entry and manually enter two transactions ($100 and $150) and ignore the $100 one?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @myllanac

Another option would be to make a contribution to the Savings Goal in the amount you need to cover the whole expense.  Then you can ignore the whole expense and make a withdrawal to spend on goal for the whole amount.

You can't hide part of a split transaction at this time.  Here is a feature request post that you can add you vote to about this if you want. https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/2099/option-to-hide-items-from-reports-and-spending-plan-in-split-transactions-edited/p1?new=1

Not sure how deleting the original imported transaction and creating two separate transactions would work out.  I wonder if Simplifi would redownload the original transaction after the fact.  You could try it and see what happens and if it throws Simplifi for a bit of a loop you can always undo it.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.