New simplifi user

networkgnome
networkgnome Member
edited December 2022 in Introduce yourself!
I have been searching for a way to blend technology and budgeting. I have tried numerous platforms, all of which left me wanting more. 

So far, in my trial period, I have to say - the interface is captivating and keeps you engaged. I am still navigating and adding everything in to build my profile. 

I end up resorting to excel/sheets for my budget and am hoping to remove them completely from the equation. I wish there was an option for scouring subscriptions to let me know when they will be withdrawn (as well as giving me insight to the ones lingering that I have forgotten about). If this is available, I haven't located it yet. 

It is looking promising so far. if you had a similar flow before and you have any knowledge to share, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @networkgnome,

Thanks for posting to the Community, and welcome to Simplifi!

We're happy to have you and we have a wonderful Community here that you can reach out to for assistance at any time. Just let us know if we can help with anything!

-Coach Natalie
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hi @networkgnome

Welcome to Simplifi.  I've been a Simplifi user since the first of this year and I have found it to be a very good fit.

You will notice in the Spending Plan under Income after bills and savings there is a section named Subscriptions.  One of the issues with a "scouring" feature is deciding how to define "subscription."  It turns out that Simplifi users use this section in different ways.  I define subscription services as things like Apple TV, Netflix, Paramount +, Windows 365, Simplifi, Kindle, annual memberships, etc.

As far a scouring for subscriptions, beyond identifying recurring expenses, Simplifi doesn't have such a feature.  However, I pretty much had all my recurring subscriptions identified within a few months.  The monthly subscriptions were easy enough, but the annual subscriptions were a bit more work.  I knew about most of them and went ahead and created a recurring expense based on when my next payment is due.  I did have a couple of annual subscriptions I had forgotten about and when they popped up in my bank account and then in Simplifi I was able to add them.

Now the fun part - Having all my subscription services (as I define subscription) listed together in the Subscription section of my Spending Plan gave my wife and I a chance to reexamine what we were paying out and the value added... leading to dropping quite a few subscriptions that either we weren't actually using or found the cost/value too high.

Hope that helps.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.