Easy way to find duplicate transactions?

reebs26
reebs26 Member
edited December 2022 in Managing Your Transactions
Is there an easy way to find all duplicate transactions? On M*int you can do so with the click of a button, except it still misses some of the dupes. I'm trying out Simplifi in an effort to solve this issue, but it seems even less capable than M*nt at this!

I've already seen that article on how to address single transactions that you're already aware of. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @reebs26,

Welcome to Simplifi!  To answer your question, not really.  Simplify does occasionally prompt you to review possible duplicates, but there’s no built in button or anything that lets you check for them afterwards.

That said, one important thing to know about Simplifi is that the way it’s structured makes the existence of duplicate transactions, not that big of a deal. They will throw off your reporting (i.e. how much you spent on groceries), but as long as the transactions aren’t in a “Pending” state, their existence won’t throw off the Account Balance. About the only other downside I can think of is that they can drive you nuts from an OCD standpoint.

I’m not sure how this compares to Mint. It’s been years since I last tried that software.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @reebs26,

Thank you for posting to the Community!

There is not currently a way to identify duplicate transactions, however, you can sort your account registers by 'Amount' and then try to identify them from there. Would you mind me asking how the duplicate transactions got there to begin with? We have a Support Article available here that may help with identifying the culprit. 

And that is correct -- although duplicate transactions won't impact the balance of connected accounts, they can throw off your reporting numbers. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• reebs26
    reebs26 Member
    @flopbot My main use of Mint and, therefore, Simplifi is to see how much I've spent and where/how I've spent it. In Mint, that's in the Trends section. I have pretty broad categories, so nothing's insanely granular, but I can easily see the total I spent from month to month or year to year or whatever, and I can see how things broke out with categories and comparisons. 

Am I reading your answer correctly that duplicates will greatly affect those kinds of reports and that Simplifi offers no way to easily find duplicates without sorting by amount and hunting through all your transactions?
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reebs26, when I say “throw off reporting”, I’m talking more loosely about Simplifi’s Spending Plan and Watchlist…not so much about Simplifi’s reports although it would certainly throw those off as well.

Duplicate transactions won’t affect Simplifi anymore, or less, than they would any other accounting software when it comes to tracking spending. If you have a duplicate transaction for $10 that you don’t catch, then maybe your clothing category shows that you spent $40 one month instead of $30.

Personally, I haven’t really experienced that many issues with duplicate transactions. All my accounts are synced, and I don’t tend to enter manual transactions very often. As a result, I don’t have to worry too much about synced transactions not being linked to manual transactions.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • reebs26
    reebs26 Member
    @Flopbot @Coach Natalie

Thanks for this feedback!
This discussion has been closed.