Importing transactions from closed accounts

Options
reebs26
reebs26 Member
I'm trying to import years of data from M*int. Many of the accounts are now closed (like credit cards and bank accounts). How do I import those since they can't be connected to any real/active account?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @reebs26, you’ll have create a ”Manual” account and upload your history into it. Going off memory at the moment, so you’ll have to let me know if you get lost but: Simplifi > Settings > Accounts > Add > Select a “Manual” account type.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @reebs26

This is an honest question asked out of curiosity and to see if I might be missing something. 

I've read posts by other who want to import previous multiple years of data into Simplifi and each time I have wondered why someone would want to do that.  In your case you want to include historical data from closed accounts.

What is your reason for wanting that data in Simplifi?
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • reebs26
    reebs26 Member
    Options
    @DannyB good question — I have years of data on Mint that I use to track my spending. Specifically how much I'm spending and what I'm spending it on. I like to compare various months/years/blocks of time to see how patterns are changing or how I might want to address my current spending habits. This is really the only thing I use Mint for, and it's very valuable information for me.

Because of the black hole of Covid, it's important for me to go back prior to 2020 to get an accurate accounting of "typical spending."  For instance, we used to travel all the time, but then it abruptly stopped. In the meanwhile, we bought a house and lots of expenses are going into that. We want to restart our rather extensive travel habit, so I want a tool that will show me how much we used to spend on those things and will also give more insight into what we're putting into the house. Etcetera.

Maybe it's super backwards for people who make a budget and stick with it, but it's how I've done things for a million years and it works for me. Budgeting feels like an exercise (which I hate) and not fun and not something I want to do. On the flip side, reviewing how I've spent money in the past to inform my financial decisions for the future just feels better to me. Of note, I have PLENTY of things in my life where I really have to take a more proactive approach (like exercise, lol). Spending is not my drug of choice, so it's easy for me to stay in the guidelines (plus I'm fortunate to make enough that one crisis won't send me plummeting). 

Too long of an answer, but does that make sense?
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @reebs26 Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I am very much a fan of Simplifi and I'll be interested to see how this works for you and hope you post updates as you attempt to load you historical data into Simplifi.

Here is a post that will be useful for you regarding importing csv files.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.