edited December 2022 in Feature Requests
Tagged:
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This sounds like a VPN service, so maybe the idea should be more generally to support VPNs.  VPNs are a waste of time - they're saying, "I don't trust my ISP. Instead, I trust this other guy who will slow down my network by sending all my traffic through them where they can see it."  I'm sure others will have different opinions on VPNs, of course.

Rob Wilkens

• sysy
    Options
    Huge +1 on this. This cost me an hour trying to sign in just after purchasing a year membership. Still cannot login without turning it off, how is this not even implemented? Please fix this so we don't have to keep turning it off and on
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Member ✭✭
    Options
    Rob - it's not quite a VPN, because in the words of an Apple vice president: “We hope users believe in Apple as a trustworthy intermediary, but we didn’t even want you to have to trust us [because] we don’t have this ability to simultaneously source your IP and the destination where you’re going to–and that’s unlike VPNs."

I'm curious though what happens when iCloud Private Relay is turned on.  What error message is displayed in Simplifi's app?  Do the options for switching between general location/wider location in Private Relay settings help?
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I just signed up for Apple iCloud Private Relay and quickly canceled the service.  From what I observed in the 5 minutes i tried it, it only works with traffic from Safari, and not Chrome (or any other apps you may have that use the internet).  

On a bright note, I can share you can use Chrome to access Simplifi without having to disable the iCloud Relay (At least from my testing).

Rob Wilkens

• Patrick760
    Options
    So I just signed up with Simplifi but I had the worst start ever and almost completely gave up. So 99% of the time I dont even remember I use a VPN because it’s automatic with my apple devices. Private relay is setup. Love it too. Well unfortunately you are unable to sign in here unless you turn the feature off and if you forget your account will get locked out for 24 hours. 

It would be nice to be able to get vpn support so that I can continue to keep using the apple relay maintain privacy on the road, on public Wi-Fi, and be able to keep up with my finances. 

Thank you.