Budgeting gas into a recurring bill / spending plan

Options
CLB
CLB Unconfirmed, Member
edited January 2023 in Using the Spending Plan
Hello, 
Wanted to see if I am doing this correctly. 

On average, our household spends $250 on gas per month.  I would like to account for this in our spending plan and have it included in the "bills" section each month.  

Should I create a "new recurring" for gas for $250 per month?  

We would then have several transactions throughout the month for $50-75 dollars.  If then link one of those transactions to recurring, would it then decide that my $250 "bill" is paid in full on the spending plan and remove the remainder from the budget?  If I don't link them to the recurring bill, is it counting each transaction as "other" expenditures on the spending plan?  

Trying to make sure it is accounting for things correctly.  

Thank you!
CLB

Best Answer

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @CLB

The best place to track and plan for your gasoline expense is in Planned spending.  Planned spending specifically set up to handle expenses that fluctuate each month.  You set up a target amount and Simplifi will track you spending and let you know when you approach your limit.  This is how I handle my gasoline purchases and it works great.

Go to the Planned Spending section the Spending plan and click on "Add Expense" and follow the process for setting up a planned expense.

I wouldn't recommend this, but If you want to set it up as a monthly recurring bill I imagine you could use a single credit card for all you gasoline expenditures and then set up your monthly payment to that credit card as a recurring bill.  This would only work if you use that particular credit card for all your gasoline purchases through the month.  There will be some issues and complications with this because of how Simplifi handles credit card payments, but it could be done.

If you haven't read this help article yet it might be helpful for understanding each section of the Spending plan.

Hope that helps.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.