Transfers with different dates are not linking

atp
atp Member
edited February 2023 in Managing Your Transactions
I am new to Simplifi and am confused about something. Transfers between two banks take a few days, so it transfers out of Bank A 4 days before it transfers in to Bank B (I don't know why it takes so long), but because of the discrepancy in dates, Simplifi doesn't seem to let me link the two transactions. Instead it tells me it can't find a linked transaction and tries to get me to create a manual transaction - which then leads to duplicate transactions in the receiving account. Is there a way to get the correct transactions to link even though they are on different dates?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @atp,

Thank you for posting your inquiry to the Community!

To clarify, have both transactions been downloaded from the bank by the time you attempt to link them together? The dates of the transaction shouldn't matter as long as they're within a couple week of each other I do believe, so if both sides of the transfer have been downloaded within a few days of each other, you should be able to link them using a Linked Transfer. 

If both transactions have been downloaded by the time you attemp to link them, have you attempted to make the link from the other transaction, by chance? Also, are you attempting to perform this action via the Simplifi Wep App or the Mobile App? Does this behavior occur regularly or is this the first time you're seeing it? 

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @atp,

Great question!  I rarely experience issues with this although I know some users seem to have no end of trouble with dates.  The only thing I can think of is that it likely comes down my expectations and to how I approach using Simplifi - or I’m just now that observant.

Here are a few thoughts:
    1. I approach transactions not really carrying if the date on Simplifi and the date in my back account matches.  What does it truly matter if the two are one or two days apart?  Possibly at the end of the month it might matter, but even then I’m not going to take the time to fix it.  As long as the transaction amount matches exactly and there’s a 1-for-1 accounting of every transaction, that’s good enough for me.
    2. Anytime I schedule a transfer between two separate banks, I always go into Simplifi and create a manual transaction - before the actual transaction physically occurs - with the Payee of “Scheduled Transaction (+ Deposits Into Account)”.  I typically schedule it for the date it is going to arrive although sometimes I go by the first date.  Basically, it depends which account I need to trust the Protected Balance graph for more.  I tend to default to the date it enters/leaves my checking account.

Here's what one side looks like...

Note that the account is a transfer to my other account.  When I click create, it shows a warning that it didn't find a matching transaction so it's going to make one.  I let it.  Here's what it looks like with both sides...

I very rarely have to match these manual transactions to the later downloaded transactions.  Usually, Simplifi does it for me.  Not sure if this is all that helpful or not, but maybe you'll glean something from it.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
This discussion has been closed.