Issues with Investments Performance tab

Options
System
System Administrator admin
edited March 2023 in Report a Bug
This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Investment Transactions -- Share your feedback here!.
Tagged:

Comments

• insanenutman
    Options
    Hello.  I am using the investments 📈 area and the third tab "Performance (Beta)" would be the most incredibly useful tool, except that my investments show a spike in the line graph at the same point in time that I contributed to that account/portfolio.  Seeing that I'm looking at Time Weighted Return (TWR), those spikes should not exist.  The goal here is to be able to analyze the performance of the accounts side by side according to performance, while excluding cash flow in and out of the account.  See attached image... the yellow spots are exactly when I contributed to the investment.  The analysis should remove those spikes to accurately gauge the performance of the account.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @insanenutman,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior in Simplifi. 

I'm not too familiar with investing in general, so I'll need to gather some data from you in order to fully understand the issue and present it to the Product Team as a bug. According to the tooltip in Simplifi, as well as our Support Article on Investing Performance, TWR should not take cash flow moving in and out of an investment account into consideration. However, it is my understanding that Investment Transactions will impact TWR, and you can create "cash flow" Investment Transactions, so I'm not sure how these would correlate. 

When testing this by adding a Cash Holding to an investment account, as well as a cash flow Investment Transaction to the account, my TWR graph does not change. Though, I'm not sure if there's enough data in the account since it was empty of both holdings and transactions before I started testing today. With that said, please provide proof of the issue; some data I think we'll need from you is:
    1. The name of the Investment Account, as it appears in Simplifi.
    2. Advise whether the contributions in question were tracked via a Cash Holding or a cash flow Investment Transaction.
    3. Screenshots of the contributions that will allow us to get a better idea of where the spikes are coming from.
    4. A screenshot of the Performance page with a wider scope so we can see the legend below the graph. 
    5. A screenshot of the Portfolio view for the account in question that shows all of the holdings and cash.
    6. If Investment Transactions are in play for this issue, please also provide a screenshot of the Transaction Detail window for each of the transactions in question. 
    Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.