Problem with splitting transactions in new mobile app 4.0.0 (edited)

Options
bcrossman
bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Report a Bug

In the new iOS app, splitting a transaction into to two portions seems to work fine — just like it always has. But when I try to further split a transaction into more than two transactions, rather than deduct the amount of the third portion from the original transaction, simplifi is creating a fourth credit within the transaction to offset the third transaction.

It won't let me delete this incorrect credit either.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bcrossman
    I’m experiencing this too. Your right, it just started with 4.0.0.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The web version has always worked this way, although I can alway delete the fourth credit and then it calculates the totals correctly.

Anthony Bopp
    Simplifi User Since July 2022
    Money talks. But all my paycheck ever says is goodbye

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This post is related to another post (click here).

I’m someone who uses A LOT of splits and this behavior is really annoying since I end up having to drag out a calculator each time I enter a receipt; before the update, I just relied on Simplifi to do the calculations for me.

In my mind, both the Mobile and Desktop should be the same to reduce potential user confusion.

Question for @ajbopp - when you delete the auto-generated 4th split, does it cause the 1st split to reduce by that same number. I’ve never tried that.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, it subtracts from the first item in the list.

Anthony Bopp

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ajbopp that's interesting. Personally, I had not consistently experienced this behavior in the app prior to the update. Splitting transactions worked pretty much the same for me in the pre 4.0.0 app as it did with the desktop — the portion split was automatically deducted from the total. There were occasional bugs, and I may have had to delete an erroneously created credit from time to time, but that was the exception and it was always easy to correct. The new iOS app seems to create these credits consistently now and I can't delete them. The web version does not have the same problem for me, even when splitting the exact same transaction.

• ajbopp
    ajbopp Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I only try this with the web app. I don't have an iOS deviceand I rarely use the android app.

Anthony Bopp

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting this behavior to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you all are seeing an issue when splitting transactions on the new Simplifi Mobile App.

I am also seeing this issue on the Android Mobile App v4.0.0. It seems to behave similarly to the Web App now where a 4th line is added for a positive amount when splitting a transaction three ways, which is what @Flopbot mentioned above. However, you can easily delete the 4th line on the Web App and Simplifi will auto-adjust the amount of the 1st line. This does not appear to be the case on the Mobile App, as you have to manually adjust the amount of the 1st line in order to delete the 4th line that was added. Definitely funky!

I did go ahead and get this behavior reported and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received.

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-16340

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

Hello again everyone,

It looks like our Product Team is going to revert the split behavior changes that were implemented with v4.0.0 so the behavior goes back to how it was. They will then be reviewing the behavior where a 4th line is added when splitting a transaction three ways for both the Mobile and Web Apps to determine how this can better be handled, and how we can make it easier on our users.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.