Deleting goal contribution from the spending plan

Options
aslam08
aslam08 Member
edited June 2023 in Using the Spending Plan

Is there a way to delete the goal contribution from the spending plan for one month?

Best Answers

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do you mean savings goal? If so, in spending plan next to savings goal contributions there is a menu to toggle between calculated and custom, you can set custom to any amount including zero.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @aslam08,

Ahh I see what you're trying to do — you're looking to ignore a Savings Goal from the Spending Plan for a month, not undo or "delete" a contribution that was made during that month. Sorry for the confusion!

In that case, I think @RobWilk had a better grasp on this than me and his suggestion to set a custom amount would definitely work for you in this scenario. The other option would be to edit the Savings Goal to be ignored from the Spending Plan, and then edit it back the following month to be included again. You can do this directly from the Savings Goal in the Spending Plan:

Hopefully this helps get you squared away!

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• aslam08
    aslam08 Member
    Options

That worked. Thanks!

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Hello @aslam08,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

It looks like @RobWilk has gotten you taken care of with the suggestion of setting a custom Savings Goal amount in the Spending Plan. I did also want to share another option with you for future reference — the technical way to "delete" a Savings Goal contribution would be to withdraw from the Goal "for another purpose" for the amount that was contributed. Doing so will remove those contributed funds from the Spending Plan up to the standard 'monthly contribution' amount that's set up for the Goal.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie

• aslam08
    aslam08 Member
    Options

Oh got it, that makes sense. Thanks!

• aslam08
    aslam08 Member
    Options

Just to clarify - I should contribute to the goal and then within the same month withdraw the same amount from the goal, which should net out.

• Coach Natalie
    edited May 2023
    Options

That's correct, @aslam08! Doing so will cancel out the contribution that was made for both the Goal and the Spending Plan. This would be your best bet since there's no way to actually manage individual Goal contributions, such as deleting them.

@RobWilk's suggestion definitely works as well to rectify the Spending Plan total for the month, however, it doesn't actually remove the contributed funds from the Goal, so you could end up ignoring a contribution from your spending funds, which could cause further budgeting issues down the road. Hopefully that makes sense.

Make sure to use the "withdraw for another purpose" option! 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• aslam08
    aslam08 Member
    Options

So I just tried your suggestion, I contributed the full monthly amount to the goal and then withdrew the full amount using the option “withdraw for another purpose” but it just put the savings goal as “not contributed” and the amount was still being reflected in the spending plan. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong here.

• aslam08
    aslam08 Member
    Options

Thank you for the information. I understand what needs to be done now ☺️

This discussion has been closed.