I May Be A Step Closer To Making Savings Goals Work As I Want
We'll have to wait a month to see how this all works out in practice, but I think in theory I've made a couple of changes that will insure Savings Goals contributions show up in the Cash Flow Report, and that I can get a Savings Goals Report on demand.
I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, and I haven't noticed until now that SG transactions show up in the "Other Spending" page as "Unsynced Accounts." Realizing that they were there, I hit on a new idea.
In the Other Spending page, I …
- Picked a SG transfer, opened up the Transaction Detail window, and selected "MARK AS BILL OR RECURRING"
- Selected "Create a new recurring transfer."
- Edited the name, next due date, transfer amount and frequency to what made sense for that transfer.
- Selected "Savings Goals" as the Category.
- Checked Ignore from Spending Plan and Ignore from Reports so nothing will get double counted when I record the transfer in the Savings Goals themselves.
Now, I can look at the Cash Flow report and the transfers are reflected on the appropriate dates (thankfully, the Cash Flow Report ignores the Ignore from Reports setting).
Plus, it's a snap to filter on the Savings Goals category in Reports to see a list of all transactions to and from my Savings Goals. I could furtheer refine this by adding tags that specifically identify which SG a transfer relates to.
The only downside to this is that, because they are transfers, the total expenses will always be $0. Plus, report filtering does not include the option to filter on credits vs debits, which would be useful for most reports.
Anyway, we'll see how it goes, but I'm hopeful this will work out as planned.
Simplifi User Since July 2022