Apple Card Statement Importing - Missing Transactions (edited)

Options
Animosity022
Animosity022 Member

Does anyone have this actually working properly?

I've tried with brand new accounts with a lot of different flavors.

When I import with $0 for the first month, it works great.

When I import the second month, it gets off by $90. When I do the 3rd month, it's way off and so on.

Steps to reproduce:

Add manual account

Import 1st month Apple CSV

Import 2nd month Apple CSV - Balances don't match.

Tagged:

Comments

• Animosity022
    Options

I tested with another piece of software and no issues. Balances all sync up so something related to Simplifi with the exact same CSV files.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm just another user, who doesn't have an apple card (I did over a year ago) — But I would be curious, are there missing (or duplicated) transactions, or is the math just not right?

Rob Wilkens

• Animosity022
    Options

Math isn’t right. 2nd import was 90 off and got worse as I imported more.

Same CSVs work in my other app and balance and match my wallet app to the penny. So whatever is being done on import is broken here.

I used fresh accounts to test multiple times and no luck.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Animosity022, I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing a balance discrepancy for your Apple Card in Quicken Simplifi!

To clarify, are you following the import directions for Apple Card? With these specific imports, the "Apple Card" option must be used, and the file must not be altered in any way.

https://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/4413430-how-to-manually-import-transactions

Please let us know so we can best assist!

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

Yes - Exactly as described. Zero alterations using the Apple Card option as specified.

Just doesn't work.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Thanks for confirming, @Animosity022!

Can you expand all months in the account register and then select all transactions to see if the "Selected" balance matches the balance in the upper right?

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

It's simple to recreate as I've shared.

Import 2 statements.

and it should be:

1st work works fine. 2nd is wrong.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Animosity022, we do need to try and narrow down the problem. We need to determine if the balance discrepancy is caused by a transactional issue (e.g. missing transactions), or if there's a calculation error present. Following the above steps will show us which direction to take as far as troubleshooting/escalating goes. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

First import:

Second:

Which is the wrong balance as it should be:

• Animosity022
    Options

3rd import gets worse:

Should be:

as you add more months, the balances get more out of whack making it not usable. Considering the process is export CSV, import, there really isn't much I can do 'wrong' other than import it and see what happens.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

Thanks for taking a look at that, @Animosity022!

Now that we've determined a calculation error isn't presenting (the total of the selected transactions matches the balance), we now need to look for transactional discrepancies. Since the balance for manual accounts is determined by the transactions that are in the account register, there must be missing transactions, duplicate transactions, or something along those lines. Can you take a look at your statements and compare them to the transactions in Quicken Simplifi to try and identify the culprit, please? 🙏

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

Sure - as expected 2 aren't imported.

They are both normal purchases:

For $90, which makes up the difference.

• Animosity022
    Options

I also did a quick test from Mint, which has Apple Card support built in. I exported everything from Mint into a CSV and it looks perfect:

• Animosity022
    Options

I ran a few more tests.

If I start fresh and import with an existing balance of 181.05 which was my April balance, works fine.

Same CSV if I use April and then import may fails:

Need some logging or debugging around the import to understand why it's randomly falling out as nothing is shown to me and I can't believe others haven't noticed transactions randomly missing.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Animosity022, thanks so much for finding the culprit!

To clarify, are the screenshots above of the two highlighted missing transactions of the actual CSV file that was obtained from the bank? If so, it looks like the amounts are not listed properly in the file for those transactions; if these are regular charges like the rest of the transactions in the screenshots, the amounts should be filled in in red like the others.

With that said, although Apple Card CSV files aren't supposed to be altered before being imported, I'd suggest giving it a try by plugging those numbers into the column where the amounts are listed in red, and removing the number from the column in the far right. Once those two transactions look like the rest, give the import another try.

If the issue persists, you'll most likely need to contact the bank directly to report the issue of their CSV file downloading certain transactions that way. It definitely looks like there's something funky or different about the way those two transactions are listed in their export.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

Sigh.

As I have repeated a few times now, I have NOT altered the stock Apple CSV. It follows the directions exactly to get generated with zero changes, modifications, alterations, changes, enchancements, etc to the file.

You've asked me to do QA on your import process, which required to create another excel file so I could line by line compare. I was highlighting the transactions in some nice colors to help you figure it out, but you keep blaming me and accusing me of changing things which I keep repeatedly saying I'm not touching.

I really can't believe I'm still here trying to help. You want me know to contact Apple and ask them about their CSV process? Perhaps file a bug report with them? It's clearly not the issue as I've demonstrated the SAME CSV file drops transactions randomly with your import process.

I'm not sure how much better I fully document an issue for you.

Perhaps ask your QA team to try it out? Test it? Ask me maybe for my exact CSV files? Support 101.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Animosity022, please re-read my response. No one is blaming you or stating that you altered the CSV file (it was previously established that you did not). If the answer to my question of "Are the screenshots above of the two highlighted missing transactions of the actual CSV file that was obtained from the bank?" is no, then the rest of my comment is void.

However, just to clarify what I was suggesting based on the provided screenshots — if the screenshot was of the actual CSV file obtained from Apple Card, then the highlighted transactions are missing an amount in red. Based on this info, we determined that something was wrong with the way the bank provided the data and that was the reason those transactions didn't import. This is why we asked you to go ahead and try altering the file to fill in those amounts to see if it works, as well as why we recommended contacting the bank to ask why those transactions were downloaded in the file that way.

Since we now know that the screenshots are not of the actual file, those suggestions no longer apply. In order for our product team to investigate an issue, we need to provide them with raw data. To do so, we need to exhaust all efforts to fully understand the issue and identify the culprit. If we determine that an escalation is needed after doing so, we'd then obtain the CSV files from you and they would only be used by our product team for testing/debugging.

With all of that said, I apologize for the confusion and for the frustration. If the issue is on our end, we can certainly submit it to have it looked at by our product team. If you'd like to continue working with me to troubleshoot the issue, the next thing I'd like for you to look at is the missing transactions in the original CSV file — do they show in the file, and is there anything unique about them if so?

If you'd like to take a different support route, you are welcome to do that as well! We have chat and phone support that would be happy to assist you in troubleshooting this issue. Regardless of your support choice, we want to do everything we can to get this issue resolved for you.

-Coach Natalie

• Animosity022
    Options

I did originally try the support route and they kept telling me I'm doing something wrong / CSV was bad / Apple CSV was wrong.

I've done enough QA here to fully document the issue.

Maybe some other Apple user will pick it up as it's clearly busted / not working / financially bad and I've spent more than enough time being the QA resource for this.

For financial tool to not calculate numbers accurately, it really makes it useless.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

From what I can tell here, @Animosity022 wanted someone to take their CSV files.

But out of concern for privacy, most likely, Simplifi Support tries not to take private data - I gather Simplifi rarely if ever sees real user data unless they 'submit feedback', and even then, the data is often anonymized/obscured so they don't see what you're spending money on.

Simplifi staff probably also does not have an Apple Card account to test this with.

It doesn't sound like a calculation error, it sounds like 2 transactions are missing. If they could identify what was different about those two transactions, they probably would know how to proceed.

On a bright note, Goldman Sachs is trying to get rid of Apple Card, so the Apple Card website and CSV creation will go to a different system sometime soon.

Rob Wilkens

• Animosity022
    Options

@RobWilk - What I wanted is someone to figure out why the import is broken. I've tried support. No dice. I tried here. No dice.

So I'm legit moving on as I've spent too many hours being the Apple QA resource. I'm guessing no one else really cares if numbers don't match up or they are not looking as closely as I want my balances to match my statement like any accountant would.

Offering a file to them really contains very little 'personal' data as I have to imagine they have some QA set of folks, an apple card and some test accounts to try with. I've even tried migrating the file to Simpli's CSV template for giggles and that also drops transactions.

I'm out.

• Coach Natalie
    Options

@Animosity022, I definitely understand your frustration and I know you've expressed that you have no interest in pursuing this any further, but I didn't want to offer my help one more time. All I'd need you to confirm before proceeding with an escalation is whether the missing transactions are in the original CSV files from the bank. I'm assuming they are since they imported into Mint, however, we do need to confirm before submitting a ticket.

If the missing transactions are indeed in the original files, this is what we'd need for an escalation:

1. The Date, Payee, and Amount of the missing transactions.
    2. The original CSV files downloaded from Apple Card.
    3. The browser and browser version you're accessing Quicken Simplifi from.
    4. The OS of the computer you're accessing Quicken Simplifi from.

And we'd also need to have your logs submitted via the 'Send Feedback' option:

1. Log into the Quicken Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send.

If you don't want to mess with it anymore, I totally get it. Since you identified the cause, manually entering the missing transactions may also be a viable solution for you. But, if you're still interested in receiving help with this issue, I'd be happy to do so!

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.