Display future-dated transactions/reminders in account registers [edited] (1 Merged Vote)

Options
Tickko
Tickko Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Feature Requests

I would like to request the option to see manually added transactions inside of the main activity transactions grid. Right now when you add a manual entry with a future date it moves that entry into the planned grid.

It would would also be nice to see those "pending" transaction reflected in either the overall balance of the account or another running total for pending or a running total column in the transaction grid.

49 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Coach Paco
    Coach Paco Moderator admin
    Options

@Tickko Great suggestion!

• dagnabit2000
    dagnabit2000 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Options

There should be an option to add an upcoming bill to the transaction list. The scenario, I have a credit card bill due on the 20th. I schedule a payment with my credit card company the weekend prior to the bill being due. I would like the upcoming transaction out of the upcoming transactions as a reminder that I paid the bill already. Later when the transaction is downloaded Simplifi can match the transaction that is downloaded to the transaction that was made when I scheduled the bill payment.

Just a thought.

• Coach Tappan
    Coach Tappan Retired Coach ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dagnabit2000 I see what you mean. It's currently possible to manually enter an individual planned payment on the Transactions list just as you would enter any other manual transaction, by clicking on the "+ / ADD" button, and typing in a future date. We've recently updated Simplifi so that the manual transaction will show up on the Upcoming cards on the Transactions list. Once the actual posted transaction is downloaded from one of your linked accounts, Simplifi should be able to match and merge it, just like it does for the recurring transactions you've set up.

• therooster0514
    edited December 2020
    Options

I commonly add future manual non-recurring transactions, however, they are difficult to view in the scrolling view on the transaction page. I love the Upcoming Transactions tab, however, it would be nice to be able to expand the date ranges so I can see ones that are outside of the current month.

I really would like a list view of all future transactions that I can adjust the date range, whether they are manual or recurring.

Love the application tho, has changed the way I do finances and taken out the stress.

Thank you!

• mccoidcoder
    Options
    I would also like to see ALL of my manually entered transactions in the register area.  

I always know when and how much my Credit Card payment is going to be even though it is not for 10 days.  Thus, when I go to view how much money I have in my account, if I don't see this future payment I may overextend myself.

At the very least, this should be a setting that we can change.

The other thing that bugs me is that I don't see a balance after each transaction in the register

I'm still new, so I may just need to adjust my thinking, but in other applications, I use the app to see what my current balance is and I don't like having to search for it elsewhere on the page.

Thanks!
  • purdnost
    purdnost Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a purely manual user, I would like the ability to mark upcoming transactions as bills or recurring income with the added benefit of being able to append notes and tags. I’m a new user, and I just added all of my scheduled bills as upcoming transactions, but I face all of these limitations until the bill date has passed. Sure, I can wait a month for all of these transactions to convert to reminders, but it would be nice for new users to be able to do it all up front.
  • Terry
    Options
    I am a new user and I love the fact that Simplifi shows cash flows. I consider it a key feature to make sure I don't accidentally overdraw my account. However, I am disappointed that the feature described here doesn't exist. For example, I want to schedule a payment for a credit card that is due in a few weeks. I would like to be able to schedule the payment (using my banks website), then move the reminder in Simpify to a pending transaction in the future that shows up in the cash flow. That way I know I have already scheduled the transaction. Right now I would have to somehow keep track of that separately which seems like unnecessary extra work.

The really weird thing is that last week I was able to get this to work with help of chat support by entering in a manual transaction and then changing the date to the future. However, today, whenever I change the date to the future it removes it as  a pending transaction and adds a future reminder, which is totally what I don't want. Was there a recent change that broke this functionality?

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    Hello @Terry,

Thanks for the feedback!

As far as I'm aware, future-dated transactions will always be moved to the Upcoming section and will not be viewable in the account register. With that being said, I'm not sure how you got it to work before, however, I do know that anything with a future date won't display in the register until the day of. 

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any questions! :smiley:

-Coach Natalie
  • Strahan001
    Strahan001 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I like this feature request!!!   Thumbs up on it!
  • Boykin
    Boykin Member
    Options
    I also like this feature request!!!! When the first of the month falls on a holiday or weekend, many employers pay their employees on the last day of the month. When a transaction is changed to a future date, the saved transaction disappears until future date arrives. The wait is frustrating.

Along the lines of the future date, the spending plan for the next month should be viewable. Users shouldn't have to wait until the next month arrives to create their monthly plan. 
  • Doug Hall
    Options
    Yes, please allow us to move upcoming transactions into the register.  I have recurring upcoming manual payments.  I think it's reasonable for a personal finance solution such as Simplifi to help you remember which you have paid and which are left to pay.  If I were able to move upcoming transactions into the register, then I would know they are already paid.  Right now I have to keep track of that outside of Simplifi which makes for redundant work.

• Scotty Mac
    Options
    Upcoming / Reminders - While I appreciate the ability to link a Reminder to an existing transaction, it would be very helpful to simply enter the Upcoming/Reminder as a transaction.  We are having to double the work by first entering the transaction and then going back to Upcoming and then linking it to that transaction.
  • Barbara H
    Options

I like to know my balance in an account after all planned future transactions, not today. There is no way to see the account balance net of future transactions, and future transactions are mixed for all accounts on that page so its hard to even see easily. I could do this in Quicken 2011 … seems odd that a more current version is less flexible! Please add to future versions!

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can find future balances on cash flow chart.

Rob Wilkens

• bonbon
    Options

I came here searching for this exact thing. Please add the ability to see upcoming transactions in the register. The graph is not very helpful to show the projected balance.

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bonbon, the Projected Balance graph does take into account future-dated transactions; those in the boxes located along the top of the register. Does your not? If so, then there’s some other problem that needs tracked down.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Steve A
    Steve A Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I like the future (pending) transaction boxes and bar at the top but I think it would be helpful to have those future transactions show up in the Transaction Activity register as future transactions, like Quicken does. It would also be nice to have a running total as an option.

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options

@Steve A, please be sure to see here for a running balance column and why it has been declined by our Product Team:

-Coach Natallie

• Steve A
    Steve A Member
    Options

Hello @Coach Natalie

Thank you for your response about the running total.

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Simpifi Newbie here seeing yet another no brainer suggestion that is over 3 years old, and still not implemented. A former user of Quicken for nearly 40 years. I would always enter my upcoming bills into my account and watch the balance and reconcile once it cleared the bank.

Having the ability to add upcoming/reoccurring transactions as "pending" in the transaction list would be the equivalent entering a check that you wrote into your checkbook. But not many are using checks anymore, Automated ACH withdrawals has become the norm. The money is coming out…IT"S PENDING! and it should be seen in the transaction list as pending, either automatically with set criteria or as an option to add it…via the 3 dots.

Now I can add the transactions manually with the hope that when the transaction clears the bank that it won't be a duplicate transaction and will be linked to the reoccurring bill reminder. As shown below to demonstrate the situation, I have manually entered a transaction expected today, going thru the tedious task of entering all the details: acct, payee, amount, and category. (Would be much easier if it happened for me, by a set amount of time such as 10 days before due date). But look… in my haste creating this pending transaction. I selected the wrong account. If this were automated it could help prevent such errors.

I've seen others in this discussion say that future balances can be seen other ways…but that option is not available where the sausage is getting made…in the TRANSACTION ACTIVITY.

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Now that the "Upcoming" carousel is called "Bills & Payments," it doesn't make sense that future dated transactions are in "Bills & Payments".

This didn't have my vote, and it does now.

Rob Wilkens

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, my experiment of adding a pending transaction for a reoccurring bill, as demonstrated in my post above, has revealed yet another flaw in Simplifi.

The example here shows that after my T-Mobile bill cleared the bank…it did not match with the pending transaction, and I was not able to link it before it cleared either. The only solution at this time is to delete the pending transaction and mark the incoming transaction that was automatically linked to the reoccurring one, as reviewed.

A solution would be either of these shown below, ideally both:

In Quicken Classic, it has long had a list of bills, and you had the option to enter them into your register, and the ledger balance reflected all transactions, cleared and uncleared.

-Phil-

Former Quicken Desktop user 1984 -2023. Currently Testing Simplifi as its replacement.

• Doug Hall
    Options

+1 on this last request from @Philk.

• Chels K. Hoyle
    Options

I see people have been asking for an update so that future/upcoming transactions can be seen in the account register, but it still hasn't been done. Unless I missed something. I wouldn't have purchased this software if I had realized this. I purchased it so that I could get away from the desktop program I use, and this is literally the main functionality that I need. Lucky for you, I had to purchase for a year. But if this feature isn't added in before renewal next year, I'll have to cancel. I really like the program otherwise. It'll be a shame if I have to cancel. Please add this feature in!

• Philk
    Philk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Chels K. Hoyle

You may be interested in this discussion too,LINK HERE, someone from Simplifi said my question is being forwarded for a technical answer.

-Phil-

• dstockwe52
    Options

Use Case: user gets paid once per month. Users want to enter transactions that need will come from that paycheck dated in the future up to the date of the next paycheck.

Example: user is paid $4000 on December 15 and will be paid again on January 15. On payday user schedules as a pending transaction a mortgage payment for $1000 that will be withdrawn from users bank on January 5.

Desired outcome: user can see projected balance to help control spending.

Current functionality does not permit this, rather Simplifi shows a future transaction but it does not decrement the pending balance.

When Intuit deprecated the Mint.com system (which did exactly this functionality) I came to Simplifi because it comes sort of close to the desired function.

Workaround: I enter all the transactions dated the day of my paycheck which gives me the projected balance I want, but future transactions should be allowed.

• asheroto
    asheroto Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Classic user since the year 1999. My dad's got me on to it and he's used it since 1990. His dad used it since the beginning when it was DOS-based.

Hoping this becomes a feature! It's much easier to budget when you can see your transaction in the future, even if it's just grayed out. It helps when approximating balance amounts and budgets, especially for manually entered future transactions.