How to use the new linking ability?

DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in Bills and Income
With the latest release comes the ability to link Recurring Reminders to transactions across any account.  I'm wondering how my fellow Simplifiers are using this new ability and what advantage this brings to Simplifi.
Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Hello @DannyB & @Clark,

Thanks for posting your inquiry regarding the new linking abilities to the Community!

From the feedback that I've seen, I think this ability will mostly come in handy for those who use different accounts to pay their bills each month. Instead of having to edit the account used for the Recurring Series just to link that one transaction, and then potentially having to edit it again the following month if a different account is used to pay that bill, etc., you can now easily link the Reminder to the transaction no matter what account it's in.

We also have an Idea post requesting this ability that may help shed some light from a user perspective: https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/1337/find-link-recurring-transaction-across-any-account#latest

@Flopbot, were you attempting to use this new feature to link a transaction to a Reminder where the associated Recurring Series was set up for a different account than the one the transaction resides in? If not, it sounds like what you experienced was typical behavior for Recurring Linked Transfers, and that you were able to ultimately get things linked properly.

Typically, if you experience trouble linking a Reminder to a transaction, such as the transaction not being listed as available to link to, we'd suggest attempting to link to the Reminder from the transaction directly, or vice versa depending on the original method you used, to see if either method for linking to the Reminder will prove successful. More details on linking transactions to Reminders, as well as the steps to do so using both methods, can be found here

Please keep an eye on this, and if you continue to experience an issue, I'd suggest creating a separate post so we can take a closer look at what's going on.

Let me know if anyone has any questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• Clark
    Clark Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @DannyB, et al

Sorry,  I'm a little slow...I dont understand this feature.  Can you or someone else give me a live example of how this works and it's use?  Thanks, Clark
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Clark, I’m asking for the same reason, not sure how to use this new feature but willing to learn.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Clark
    Clark Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @DannyB

Maybe someone will enlighten us.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DannyB & @Clark, so, I thought I had found a situation today where I got to use this new feature and I started documenting it with screenshots.  HOWEVER, it ended up not working for some reason; or I just don't understand something.  I'm bringing in @Coach Natalie for advise or in case she needs to split my post off as a separate bug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a recurring series that is a "Weekly Withdrawal" (transfer) between my CHECKING (-) account and a manual CASH ENVELOPE (+) account.  I pulled money from the ATM yesterday so the transfer automatically appeared in CHECKING, but the recurring series remained waiting.

In the CASH ENVELOPE account, I clicked the three stacked dots and "Link to Transaction".  This is what appeared.

So, I selected the CHECKING...

When I searched for the transaction from the CASH ENVELOPE side, it didn't appear...

When I switched to the CHECKING and followed the same process and searched, it did appear...

If I'm correct, the transaction should have showed up under BOTH searches.  Once I linked it, the "Past" reminder boxes went away in BOTH accounts and moved to the register.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Clark
    Clark Member ✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie @DannyB @Flopbot

I don't see this feature at all on the android app.  Can you @Coach Natalie show me an example as I am totally confused now.  Clark
    BTW...I am on 3.22.1 revision
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @Coach Natalie, in my situation, my Recurring Series was a transfer between my linked CHECKING & manual CASH ENVELOPE account so, no, it wasn't set up for a different account than the one the transaction resides in...I don't think.  One side of the transaction lives in both accounts.

Sorry @Clark for making you more confused.
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    No problem, @Clark!

As mentioned in the Announcement, you won't see the account menu option on the Mobile App -- "On the Mobile App, you'll see that transactions from all accounts will be listed as available to link the Reminder to."

In other words, if you select a Reminder on the Simplifi Mobile App and then select "Link to Transaction", you'll see transactions from all of your accounts listed as available to link to, as opposed to only seeing transactions that reside in the account that the associated Recurring Series was set up for.

I hope this helps!

-Coach Natalie
  • Clark
    Clark Member ✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie....Ok thanks. I don't use the web at all so I missed that!  I hope that you will show both web and mobile app differences next time.  Clark 
This discussion has been closed.