"In the past" balance unreliable in Projected Cash Flow

2»

Comments

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Solve the one problem i have two messages back, then we can re-evaluate if anything else is wrong.

-

Here's an update:

July 23rd:

Stated balance before is "$56.28"

I date a -$10 transaction July 23rd, mark it as cleared (note: this makes simplifi think it's already in the bank balance).  Then I refresh the page (reload the page)-- this is a necessary step it seems to show the issue.

Now Simplifi says balance on July 23rd is "$66.28" because it REVERSED the $10 that day.  It shouldn't be reversing charges from the selected day when figuring out the selected day balance.

It should be reversing those charges when going backwards for the day before.   Always reverse day #x's charges from Day #x's balance to get the day before or day #(x-1).  Don't reverse day#x's charges to get day #x's balance.  I hope it's obvious that the charges you make on day #x are meaningful to what day #x's balance is, and subtracting them is -- wrong.

--
    Incidentally, yes, I backed out of my plan to shop for a bit.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @Coach Natalie

If you need more clarification, ask.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    In terms of summarizing in a simpler format:

The key problem to solve is this (the rest should fall into place once this is solved):  Why are today's transactions not subtracted from today's "current balance" to get yesterday's balance in the cash flow forecast.

(if they deny today's balance affects yesterday, then ask them to explain why the above subtraction does not equal yesterday's balance, at least when there are transactions today and no transactions that add up to the same total yesterday and today.)

I think once the developers understand that problem, the rest will be "Oh Yeah" and they'll fix it without further feedback.  If they solve that problem right, the rest should just work.

-Rob
    Edit: If I could I would delete the rest of this thread and just leave this one message :smiley:

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @Coach Natalie : 24 hours+ later: I'm hoping this doesn't get totally ignored, though to be honest, present and future balances are "more important" than past balances...  I can't (or shouldn't) be able to do anything to improve my past balances, so seeing past balances is just "interesting" and not "purposeful."  It would be nice if they were right though.

Edit: Somewhere around here I got the '100 Comments' badge, which it seems only 2 other non-coaches have done.  I'm willing to guess about 25-50 of those comments were on this series of messages :wink: ... I have longer editing abilities now, maybe that will reduce for the future.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @Coach Natalie

This is an attempt to summarize my psuedo-code explanation in more plain english by getting rid of terms like 'day[x]' and 'day[x-1]' and use words....
    ==
    We'll assume three days, tuesday (yesterday), wednesday (today), thursday (tomorrow)

We know the 'current' balance 'wednesday'/'today'.  Simplifi 'knows' no other balances.

As it stands, it correctly gets thursday balance by taking 'wednesday'/'today' balance and adding 'thursday'/'tomorrow' scheduled transactions.  That works.   (each future day follows this pattern).

But incorrectly, to get tuesday/yesterday balance, it is taking the 'wednesday'/'today' balance and subtracting 'tuesday'/'yesterday' transactions.   (each past day follows this pattern)

To get tuesday/yesterday balance, it should take 'wednesday'/'today' balance and subtract 'wednesday'/'today' transactions.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for the additional explanations, as well as for your patience as this was being researched.

I've done a lot of testing on this, with both connected and manual accounts, and I'm definitely seeing some funky behavior. I'm having a hard time nailing down a consistent pattern, as the issue appears differently in a manual account than a connected account. I've also been unable to track down the exact intended design/functionality of the "in the past" balances, unfortunately. 

At any rate, I did go ahead and get everything reported; I included your findings, as well as screenshots and explanations of what I've found when testing. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-13198
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Thank You for doing additional research on this issue and filing a formal report which i don't have access to.... when i didn't hear back at first i was certain i was too wordy and was making the issue be ignored! 

I don't know enough about how manual accounts work (or don't)...  I do know I was using a manual account in January-April timeframe, and there were occasional balance issues.

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    No problem, @RobWilk!

Although some reported issues may take longer to address than others, we definitely strive to make sure that everything posted in the Community gets taken care of. :wink:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @RobWilk,

Thank you for your patience as this is being worked on!

It looks like a fix for this issue is expected with the 3.60.0 Web Release. Please let me know if you still see an issue after that time. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie .. wow, that was fast.   I will look for the 3.60.0 release post.  I am subscribed to those updates.

Rob Wilkens

• RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie - I never (yet) saw a 3.60.0 release document/posting, however, I did notice that it looks like this is now fixed, at least in early access.  

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    That's great to hear, @RobWilk!

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.