Please post your feedback here for the new register design

SRC54
SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Feedback
OK, I hate to be a downer, but I don't really like nor see the need for the UI transaction changes.

1) I got used to knowing that transactions were downloaded or manually entered.  Now that's gone. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but I would like to know the why and wherefore.
2) The blue, or is it black review check isn't as easy to see as the green check.
3) Now we have icons for deleting and editing bulk transactions that are shown all the time but grayed out until you choose transactions. Before, you got the icons in context when you chose transactions.  That seemed cleaner to me.
4) OK the recurring icon is useful but seems to take up more room than needed and ought to be over by the review check.

None of this is a deal breaker or anything but it seems esoteric.   I think we prefer new features and fixes.  Also, I have never understood why when you post updates that you allow no discussion there.  The discussion is closed immediately.  Why is that?

[edited title]

Steve
Quicken Simplifi Since 2021
MS Money/Quicken Classic Since 1991

Comments

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good comments! I think I agree with all of them. I don't really mind the UI, but your suggestions would improve it.

Also, I don't see the "recurring" icon. I've checked my recurring transactions and they are linked to a recurring series when I open them, but the icon does not appeal on the transaction page.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SRC54 & @bcrossman

#1, maybe this column could be added as an option to the list below?
    #2, agree.  The green was simply cheerier.  It was just different enough from the basic color pallet that it stood out better.  Now, it looks boring.
    #3, no comment.
    #4, I didn't know this existed till 30 seconds ago - or completely forgot about it - but Simplifi lets you customize the columns in the register.  Apparently, you can add or remove the "Recurring" column according to your own personal tastes.

Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @bcrossman @Flopbot @Coach Natalie

Yes, the customize columns is nice but you cannot rearrange it.  Perhaps they could allow an option to see the icon for downloaded/manual entry again.  I wonder if it was giving problems of some sort, which is why they changed it.  Simplifi was the first of these apps that I know of that had this feature.  Also, I can live without it.  It seems less jarring today than yesterday.

Maybe they thought the green meant money in and changed it to a black check.  May I suggest a nice blue?

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited July 2022
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the new register design with the Community!

Although our Product Team also reviews posts made here in the Community, the best way to provide your feedback directly to them regarding the new register design is to use the pop-up message that's available to Early Access users from the Simplifi Web App Dashboard.

For the Entry Method column specifically, I totally agree with the feedback provided here and am not sure why it was removed. The lack of this column will make it more difficult to troubleshoot duplicate transactions, etc., so I'd personally love to see it added back. Maybe someone can create an Idea post requesting it so we can get some votes on it. ;)

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

As for Product Update Announcements being closed for comments, this is intentional, as these posts are for informational purposes only, just like our Alerts are. When viewing the Updates From the Product Team category, you'll see a note at the top stating such:

With that said, however, you are more than welcome to create a new post any time you have questions about a Product Update or an Alert. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again everyone,

Due to some feedback we've received on the in-product messaging requesting feedback for the new register design, our Product Team has requested that users leave feedback here instead. With that said, please be sure to let us know what you think of the new design, any suggestions you may have, or any pain points you're experiencing, by commenting below.

We appreciate everyone's feedback!

-Coach Natalie
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I'm not sure this ever worked, but it's "clear" in this new ledger, it looks like i should be able to edit the NAME of the transaction, but if i edit it and press enter, the original name comes back every time.  Please either (1) make it non-editable if it's non-editable, or (2) implement the code which allows the name to change.

EDIT: I noticed even when editing the transaction, if i edited the name and pressed enter the original name came back.  When editing the transaction, I had to make sure i did not hit enter, then press save/update.

Rob Wilkens

• RichD
    RichD Member ✭✭
    Not having the ability to mass review transactions is not a good change to the transaction list. I agree the green was easier to see. The rest of the changes are OK but I am really missing the mass review of transactions.
  • RichD
    RichD Member ✭✭
    RobWilk said:
    I'm not sure this ever worked, but it's "clear" in this new ledger, it looks like i should be able to edit the NAME of the transaction, but if i edit it and press enter, the original name comes back every time.  Please either (1) make it non-editable if it's non-editable, or (2) implement the code which allows the name to change.

EDIT: I noticed even when editing the transaction, if i edited the name and pressed enter the original name came back.  When editing the transaction, I had to make sure i did not hit enter, then press save/update.
    I found that if you edit the payee name, you need to either create a new payee or choose one that it lists for it to change
  • I tried to give myself some time to adjust to the new features before commenting, but I have not grown to love them. Losing the green checkmark has been one of the toughest for me because it's less distinguishable now. Also, did we lose the ability to click on the exclusion eye — could have sworn I could click on it before to toggle things on and off. Personally, I preferred the old transaction list overall. 
  • theospears
    theospears Member
    There appears to be a bug with the column chooser.

While the column chooser appears everywhere the new transaction list appears (e.g. under savings goals) the selection appears to apply only to the default transaction view. Everywhere else the default columns are shown, regardless of your column selection.
  • RichD
    RichD Member ✭✭
    sarahl said:
    I tried to give myself some time to adjust to the new features before commenting, but I have not grown to love them. Losing the green checkmark has been one of the toughest for me because it's less distinguishable now. Also, did we lose the ability to click on the exclusion eye — could have sworn I could click on it before to toggle things on and off. Personally, I preferred the old transaction list overall. 
    I agree - it has disappeared. This is not a good upgrade to the transaction list. Who asked for these features to be eliminated?
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback thus far!

I was able to confirm that the ability to click on the 'ignore' eyeball to easily ignore transactions from Reports and the Spending Plan will be added back. I don't have an ETA as of yet, however, it should be available before the new design is fully live.

@RobWilk -- I'm not personally seeing any issues with editing the Payee of a transaction inline, or in the Transaction Detail view. Would you mind elaborating on what specifically you're seeing, please? 

@theospears -- To clarify, are you referring to the transaction lists that are available when viewing Reports, Other Spending, etc.? If so, these lists come with built-in columns that are non-customizable; the ability to add or remove columns is only available in the main register/transaction view. This hasn't changed from the old register view to the new one.

With that said, however, you are always more than welcome to create an Idea post requesting customizable columns in other areas of the program, such as Reports, so that other users can vote on it and our Product Team can review it.

https://community.simplifimoney.com/discussion/998/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community

-Coach Natalie
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @Coach Natalie -- at this moment, it appears to be working fine, but if i see it again I will try to catch a video which shows the issue.  What was happening is i would type a changed name, press enter, and the original name repetitively reappeared.  But just now I changed "Disney Bundle" to "Disney Bundle Monthly" and it changed without issue (I later changed it back, since i was just testing).

Rob Wilkens

• JMP
    JMP Member ✭✭
    I agree with feedback from other community members.  It’s hard to love this update.  

The biggest annoyance for me is that it seems more difficult to select a record or toggle the check mark when using my iPad with the web app.  Almost every time, the edit transaction dialog box pops up, when all I wish to do is mark a transaction as reviewed.  
  • cfoxcvg
    cfoxcvg Member ✭✭✭✭
    SRC54 said:
    OK, I hate to be a downer, but I don't really like nor see the need for the UI transaction changes.

1) I got used to knowing that transactions were downloaded or manually entered.  Now that's gone. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but I would like to know the why and wherefore. 
    2) The blue, or is it black review check isn't as easy to see as the green check.
    3) Now we have icons for deleting and editing bulk transactions that are shown all the time but grayed out until you choose transactions. Before, you got the icons in context when you chose transactions.  That seemed cleaner to me.
    4) OK the recurring icon is useful but seems to take up more room than needed and ought to be over by the review check.

None of this is a deal breaker or anything but it seems esoteric.   I think we prefer new features and fixes.  Also, I have never understood why when you post updates that you allow no discussion there.  The discussion is closed immediately.  Why is that?

[edited title]
    This is all 100% on point. 
    Reference #1) Considering I often manually add transactions to account for them till they post I find it very confusing without this icon. 
    Reference #2) I prefer to see the open check like it used to be when not checked. Color did not much matter but I think the green stood out and indicated it was complete.
    Reference #3) When trying to make bulk edits I get no options other than edit or delete. I have not gotten the merge to show up for any transactions since the update. There is definitely a glitch here. I prefered the old way.

Additions:
    1. When in dark mode the balance line in the projected cash flow chart is all but invisible. 
    2. New color tones are hard on my eyes.

• timmyc123
    timmyc123 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Love the new design, but it seemed to have broken the total when a filter is applied. Normally, when you apply a filter in the transaction list, the current sum of those transactions that are displayed was shown next to the search bar.

Please fix.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited August 2022
    Thank you, @timmyc123 -- I let the team know this is missing. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Strahan001
    Strahan001 Member ✭✭
    Liked the green check mark, also, it would be great to have a running total as you proceed down the register.  The balance with or w/o pending never seems to be proper.  On the cash flow graph, it would be great if there were grid lines.  OR at the very least at the $0
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any comment one way or the other about the new design.  
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um.  I'm not sure how I feel about the new design.  The "+" button to add transactions I've found yesterday or day before (early access), but at the moment it doesn't feel "natural" like the old way of adding transactions (slightly different button) was.  I do totally get that there is a long running trend in tech to use "words" as little as possible, because this make reaching an international audience "easier".  I might just have to get used to the new way.

Rob Wilkens

• Clark
    Clark Member ✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie
    I guess the new design is ok.  I just don't understand why more work is not being done on the mobile app?  It still has major fixes that need to be done, i.e, filtering categories in the report section just to name one, that has been broken since I joined in February. Why not fix known issues before designing new features?  Clark
  • SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, the new design is ok.  I wish they had gotten rid of the drab color.  I found how to delete on my own before reading Natalie's post.  I wish we could edit the account as well.  Certainly it is not often we need to change bulk transactions from one account to another, but with the arrival of transactions in Investment accounts, it would make it easier for me to move 2 years of transactions from my manual cash account to the brokerage account.  As it stands, I have to enter them all one by one manually.

Steve

• Coach Natalie
    @SRC54 -- you may consider creating an Idea post requesting the ability to move transactions from one account to another so that other users can vote on it, as I'm not finding an existing one. I think that would be a great Feature Request to have! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • The transactions view is incredibly sluggish. My browser is struggling. Every click or entry makes me wait 1000-1500ms before I see "Transaction updated." Safari seems to be better than Chrome/Firefox, but still not perfect.
  • timmyc123
    timmyc123 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I agree with DaveUT. Performance has been an issue since day one across both web and apps. Sometimes it is unusable.

This is what happens when you use React...
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello All,

As a reminder, this post is to provide feedback on the new register design specifically. If you're seeing a separate issue outside of the design changes, you'll want to create a post in the appropriate area of the Community outlining the specific issue.

https://community.simplifimoney.com/

Thanks, everyone!

-Coach Natalie
  • Some of the feedback you have gotten so far is relevant.  I have gotten use to the new updates but one thing that has been consistent for me is the following scenario.

I like to filter my transactions by "Not Reviewed".  Then, I review the line item and click the checkmark to indicate I have reviewed it.  Everytime I click the checkmark (when in filter mode), the line item "falls off" as it should since I just marked it as reviewed.  The next line item "slides up" to where the previous one was.  But, the checkmark to mark it as reviewed is not there until I mouse over another line item and then back to this one. 

Not that it is a big deal, but I have to always move the mouse down to the transaction below and back up to the crurent one to get the check mark  to appear as an option to click.

Browser: Chrome 
  • tehjones
    tehjones Member
    I have a few gripes with the Create Transaction modal on desktop. Maybe this isn't a typical workflow, but until you all finally have Apple Card automatic transactions available, I have to manually enter everything for that CC. When I click the + button to create a new transaction, it's assumed the current date is the date of the transaction. That is also 99.99% of the time never the case for me. It would be much better if the autofocus when the modal opens is on the date with the date selector open. I feel like that's a better entrypoint rather than the Payee and it would speed up my manual entry of transactions a lot.

My second gripe. With create transaction modal open and data entered, I accidentally touch the trackpad. or mouse It's almost always outside of the modal and it dismisses the modal and all the data I entered is now gone. It's really annoying. I think that modal should only be closed when you've entered a transaction, hit the esc key or clicked the X button.

Browser: Brave (Chromium)
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @tehjones second gripe.

Rob Wilkens

• SRC54
    SRC54 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    @tehjones
     I have to say that the transaction entry is fine except for doing multiple entries.  It drives me crazy how you have to do them one by one and the date always defaults to today's date.  I spent the weekend manually entering 2 years of data into my Brokerage account.  It was maddening.  You can try to enter the date manually instead of using the calendar thingy, but it is tricky.  If you have 10/04/2022, you have to click on each two digits separately.  I never could just highlight the date and type in 01/02/2021.

I think some of this trouble is due to the inherent nature of using a web page.  I don't try it on the iPhone app because of the small screen.  I wish they had a MAC app and an iPad app.  Maybe they could make it smoother then.

Steve

This discussion has been closed.