About New Article

RobWilk
RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in Feedback
There was an article posted today that described two ways to link transactions to reminders.

I refer to:
http://help.simplifimoney.com/en/articles/6425245-linking-transactions-to-reminders-on-the-mobile-app

It might be worth noting, if it's a 'pending' transaction, you must start from the transaction side and mark as bill -- whereas only 'cleared' transactions can be linked when starting from the reminder to do the same thing.

Rob Wilkens

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited August 2022
    Thanks for the feedback, @RobWilk!

It doesn't appear that what you're reporting is accurate -- when testing this, linking pending downloaded transactions to Reminders from the Reminder directly seems to work great on both the Mobile and the Web Apps. The only transaction type you must link from the transaction directly is manual transactions, which is mentioned in the Article. 

With that said, however, if you don't see a transaction listed when linking from the Reminder directly, we would advise that you link from the transaction instead, which it sounds like you've already found that this option works for you. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You for explaining, i didn't understand that there was a functional difference between 'manual' transaction which say 'pending' on them and downloaded pending transactions.  I understand looking at the transaction it will say something like "appears on your bank statement as..." for downloaded transactions, even if pending.

This is useful for me to understand.

Thanks
    Rob

Rob Wilkens

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @Coach Natalie,

I think there’s something super important in the your reply to @RobWilk, but I’m not understanding something.  Could you perhaps restate the bit about how manual transactions get linked/or don’t get linked to recurring transactions.  Maybe said another way, something will click.

My reason for asking is that I have some recurring transactions that I’ve only been using for two months to move money into a crash envelope.  So far, both months have had problems when the ATM deposit showed up as a withdrawal.

Just for background, this is the Recurring Series.

[edited images to reduce size]
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • RobWilk
    RobWilk Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Flopbot - I can try answering, but @Coach Natalie may have a better answer: Manual Transactions are those entered by hand, not downloaded from the bank.  If you enter them by hand, you can not (before they are downloaded and matched) link to them from the "Upcoming Transactions" side, but you can 'mark as bill' and match them to upcoming transactions from the manually entered transaction side, which is effectively the same thing.  

Rob Wilkens

• Coach Natalie
    What @RobWilk stated is correct, @Flopbot. :smiley:

Until recently, the ability to link manual transactions to Reminders wasn't available at all in Simplifi. Now, you can link a manual transaction to a Reminder from the transaction directly. If you attempt to link it from the Reminder directly, you won't see the manual transaction listed (unless you're doing it from the Mobile App, in which case there is a bug where manual transactions are displayed, but nothing happens when you select one).

Hopefully this helps to clear things up! Also, the steps to link a transaction to a Reminder from the transaction directly are outlined in this Support Article

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RobWilk & @Coach Natalie,

Ah, so if I understand you both correctly, you are not specifically talking about “Manual Accounts” which are filled with “Manual Transactions”, but really “Manual Transactions in ANY TYPE of account.  In some types of account (synced) the “Manual Transactions” (if you enter them before they download) would eventually become downloaded transactions while in other types of account (manual) they would not.

One of my personal unwritten rules for Simplifi is to always wait for transactions to clear (i.e. don’t enter them in advance).  I suspect that this has saved me a lot of grief to date!

One further question if I may…

I’m my case, I have a recurring transaction (a transfer) with one side being in a synced account (a “Downloaded Transaction“) and the other side is in manual account (a “Manual Transaction”).  In the past, I’ve had issues linking the transaction to the recurring series and haven’t been doing it long enough to pick out a pattern.

For the best outcome - until the bug is fixed - I should wait until the transaction clears the synced account and link it from synced account side; not the manual account.

Does it sound like this is accurate?  Thanks!
    Chris
    Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    That is correct, @Flopbot.

I'd treat it just like a normal Recurring Bill (not a Transfer) where you'd link the transaction from the payment account, which is the 'Account' you selected during the Recurring Series setup. For Transfers, this should also clear the Reminder in the receiving account. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.