Is it possible to recategorize previous transfers to the proper investment accounts?

Options
DannyB
DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in Investments
I have been transferring money marked for our investment accounts into several "dummy" accounts.  Now that the ability to make transfers into and out of investments accounts is becoming a reality in Simplifi with the new release to Early Access, I'm wondering if I can recategorize those earlier transfers to the actual accounts they were meant for.  In other words, is this new ability to make transfers into investment accounts retroactive or is it only available starting with the date of release of this feature? 

If it is retroactive, are there particular steps that I will need to follow to recategorize those earlier transfers to the proper accounts?

Danny
Simplifi user since 01/22
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @DannyB,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't change past Transfers into Linked Transfers with your investment accounts. I just tested this with a Transfer from last month, and I was able to select the investment account as expected. With that said, I'd definitely suggest giving this a try and letting us know if you run into any issues. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    OK, @Coach Natalie I went ahead and ran a recategorizing test on one of the transactions and it was successful.  What threw me off at first was what seemed to me a confusing warning message about the the transaction being deleted in what appeared to be the origination account.  The test demonstrated that the transaction would be deleted from the original receiving account and moved to the new receiving account while the transaction in the origination account remained intact - which is what I expected.

Once tested, I did a batch edit for transactions that needed to be moved from the old receiving account to the newly available actual investment accounts.  This process also gave me the opportunity to make a few corrections of past transfers.  Once recategorization was completed for all transactions I had a zero balance in the two dummy accounts I was using to receive these investment transfers and was able to delete those.

I'll need to do a bit or reconciling in my g-kids custodial accounts but otherwise looking good so far.

Thanks for your help.
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
This discussion has been closed.