Assigning recurring income on mobile creates a duplicate transaction

bcrossman
bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Report a Bug

Recently I've noticed that if I assign a transaction as existing recurring income (e.g., a paycheck or interest payment that doesn't match the precise amount saved in my recurring transactions, but is nonetheless recurring income) Simplifi correctly assigns the transaction, but also creates a new duplicate transaction. The new duplicate transaction appears to be a "matched" transaction, but is unnecessary. I've just been deleting the duplicate transactions, but I'm curious if others have experienced this.

I've only noticed it in the iOS app.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin

Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this problem on the Simplifi Mobile App.

I was unable to replicate this behavior from either an Android or an iPhone, so I do have a couple of questions to better understand the issue. First, do you notice the duplicate transaction appear on the Web App as well, or just on the Mobile App?

Next, would you mind uninstalling and then reinstalling the Simplifi Mobile App, and letting me know if that helps to resolve the issue? If the trouble persists after doing so, would you mind uploading a screenshot, so that I can take a closer look at what's going on?

Thank you,

Coach Natalie

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Coach Natalie

I’ve only noticed the problem when I assign the income transaction on mobile, but then the duplicate transaction appears on both mobile and the web app.

I’ll reinstall and the next time I have a recurring income transaction (probably a couple weeks from now), I’ll try it again and report back.

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [removed link - thread merged]

When I assign a downloaded transaction to one of my saved recurring income transactions and mark as reviewed, it produces a duplicate transaction. See attached screenshot. The bottom two transactions are linked to my recurring income transactions; the top two are not. I can delete the duplicate, unlinked transactions, but I'm not sure why this is happening in the first place. 

Thanks.

• Coach Natalie
    edited January 2021
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for posting back with a new instance, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists!

Just to make sure that I have all of the facts lined out for my Product Team, what are the exact steps that you're taking in Simplifi to link the transaction to a Recurring Income Series? Also, does this only occur when linking AND marking as Reviewed, or do you notice it even if you don't mark the transaction as Reviewed?

Thank you,

Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Coach Natalie, sorry for not responding earlier, but I just noticed the problem again this month, which reminded me to return to this thread.

The steps I take are to open the details of the transactions, toggle the "Recurring Income" switch, assign to existing, select the the correct recurring income transaction, and then toggle the reviewed switch. When I then view my transactions, the recurring income transaction appears twice. 
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for posting back and providing the steps!

Have you given this a try from the Web App, by chance? If not, would you mind doing so to see if the issue is presented there as well? I know you said that you can see the duplicate transaction from the Web App, in addition to the Mobile App, but I'm trying to determine if linking a transaction to Recurring Income causes a duplicate when done from the Web App, or if this is a Mobile App-specific issue.

Thank you! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Coach Natalie -- I believe it's a mobile-specific issue. I have not noticed it when assigning recurring transactions on the web. Thanks.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited November 2021
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for confirming!

I have gone ahead and opened a Bug Ticket for this, and will be sure to post back as soon as any updates become available. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-9086
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I've noticed that if I assign a transaction to one of my recurring transactions, it creates a second, duplicate transaction, rather than modifying the original transaction. So for example, if Simplifi does not recognize my paycheck and I manually link it to my recurring transaction for my paycheck, I have two deposits making it appear that I was paid twice.

This problem only occurs when I try to assign the transactions in the mobile app, but the duplicate transactions then appear in both the mobile app and the desktop version.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this behavior on the Simplifi Mobile App.

When testing this behavior, I'm not personally seeing an issue with transactions duplicating after being assigned to a Recurring Series on the Mobile App. With that said, I'd suggest signing out and back into the Mobile App to see if doing so helps to clear things up. If the issue persists, I'd next suggest performing a full uninstall/reinstall of the App while performing a device reboot in between. 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Coach Natalie, but after trying your suggestions, I still have the same problem on mobile. I will DM you a screenshot with more information.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited November 2022
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for attempting the steps and posting back, although I'm sorry to hear that the trouble persists.

Before moving forward with gathering any details from you, please take a look at and follow the steps listed in our Support Article here for troubleshooting duplicate transactions. Specifically, you'll want to take a look at the "Appears on your statement as..." info for each of the transactions to determine how the transactions were entered into Simplifi (this is easier to do from the Web App).

If one of the transactions is determined to be downloaded from the bank and the other is determined to be manually entered, I'd also suggest seeing if you can merge the transactions from the Web App, as this will give us a better idea of what's going on. 

Additionally, if this is the only time this issue has occurred, I'd suggest deleting one of the duplicates and then keeping an eye on it moving forward, as it may be a one-off occurrence, especially since I'm unable to replicate the behavior.

Please let us know how it goes!

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

I reviewed the support article again and confirmed that both transactions are downloaded and both are cleared. Thus, as directed by the article, I'm reaching out for support. 

Both transactions have the same "Appears on your statement as..." information. Also, I've noticed the icon to merge transactions no longer appears in the Simplifi toolbar, so I was not able to reconcile them that way. Also, this is not a one-time issue. It has been a consistent problem recently whenever I try to assign a transaction to a recurring income or recurring bill in the the mobile app. I don't have the same problem when I assign in the desktop app.

Thanks.

• Coach Natalie
    edited November 2022
    Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for reviewing the Support Article and confirming the entry method of the transactions!

To clarify, do the transactions duplicate when linking to a Reminder from any account, or are you noticing that the issue is occurring with just one particular account? Also, do you happen to have an additional example you can provide, by chance?

Additionally, please provide us with the following information so we can look into escalating this:
    • The name of the account that the transactions reside in, as it appears in Simplifi. 
    • A screenshot of the Transaction Detail view of both duplicate transactions that show the "Appears on your statement as..." info. 
    • A screenshot of both of the duplicate transactions displayed in Simplifi (I believe you already sent this via DM, however, feel free to send again). 
    • Confirm whether the duplicate transactions are impacting the reported balance for the account. 
    • Confirm whether both of the duplicate transactions are linked to the Recurring Reminder, or if just one is linked. 
    Please also share your logs with us via the 'Send Feedback' option by following these steps:
    1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send
    Thanks in advance!

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Thanks, I will get back to you, but will likely have to wait until early next month when I have several recurring transactions again.

By the way, this is the same issue I posted about [removed self-referencing link to merged thread] a year ago. It seems this prior ticket may still be open. Is there any update on that thread?
  • Coach Natalie
    edited November 2022
    Hello @bcrossman,

Ahh, I do see that we already got this reported -- quite a while ago too! I apologize for the long wait. 

I bumped the ticket and let the Team know that the issue is still occurring. It would be very helpful to have you send your logs to us right away so I can add them to the ticket. I can use the example transaction that you provided via DM the other day to provide them with a point of reference. 

Here are the steps for submitting logs again:
    1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send
    Please let me know once done!

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I was able to test it again with a different recurring bill in a different account and just as before, it duplicated the transaction. I sent the logs as instructed, which included a screenshot of the duplicated transaction (Netflix charge to credit card).

• Coach Natalie
    Thank you, @bcrossman!

I will let you know as soon as I receive an update on the escalation. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested again and ran into the same problem. Any update on a fix?
  • Coach Natalie
    edited December 2022
    No further update yet, @bcrossman. I'll let u know as soon as I see anything! 

-Coach Natalie
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

just checking in on this and confirming that it continues to be a problem. I assigned two bills this month that did not match the exact amount set up in my recurring transactions and Simplifi created duplicate transactions for both. Now I have (1) the transaction matched to my recurring series, with correct payee and category, and (2) the original transaction that I attempted to assign the recurring series with Simplifi's guess at payee and category.

Again, I think this specific problem only occurs when assigning recurring transactions on the mobile (iOS) app. Any ETA on a fix?

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know!

Our Product Team is currently working on a lot of fixes and updates to the Mobile App to improve performance and touch response in general, and it looks like the ticket for this issue has become a part of that project. I don't have an ETA or a fix version to provide you as of yet, however, I will continue to watch the ticket and let you know as soon as I see an update or a definitive expected fix.

We appreciate your continued patience!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for your continued patience!

It looks like a fix for this issue is expected with the 4.0.0 Mobile Release. Please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after that time.

-Coach Natalie

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Thanks @Coach Natalie! Sorry if I missed it, but when is the new mobile app expected to be released?

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

We don't have an expected release date to provide, however, you can follow our Updates From the Product Team category to be notified of any Release Notes, which would indicate a new release. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

It looks like the fix for this issue may have been pushed a bit. I'm not sure what the fix version will be at this point, but I will continue to keep an eye on the ticket and let you know as soon as any further info becomes available.

We appreciate your patience!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

Thanks for your continued patience on this!

With all of the recent changes and enhancements made to the Simplifi Mobile App, I wanted to see if this issue is still occurring for you. Please let us know!

-Coach Natalie

• bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Coach Natalie, I just noticed this issue is still occurring. I tried to assign a payment to a recurring bill that Simplifi had not automatically linked to my recurring series. It created the recurring transaction, but as a duplicate, this now there is an extra payment.

• Coach Natalie

Thanks for confirming, @bcrossman!

I let the team know that the issue is still occurring for you, and I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I receive an update, or if any further info is requested of you.

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @bcrossman,

Thank you for your continued patience!

Great news — a fix for this issue is expected with the 4.9.0 Mobile Release. Please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after that time. 🙂

-Coach Natalie

This discussion has been closed.