Filters + split transactions = incorrect total

timmyc123
timmyc123 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2022 in Report a Bug
When you filter the transaction list based on a category, and one of the transactions that meets those criteria is split (aka one part of the split transaction matches the filter), the entire transaction is counted in the total that is displayed in the transaction list, not just the part of the transaction that matches the filter.

This should be fixed.
Tagged:

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2022
    Hello @timmyc123,

Thank you for reporting this behavior to the Community, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue in Simplifi.

When testing this, I am seeing the same behavior, although it seems to be by design. The reason for this is that the intention of filtering transactions is to narrow the register down to specific transactions, which does not include providing a total for those transactions. Additionally, manually selecting the transactions is not part of the filter process, and you're actually selecting the entire split transaction as opposed to just the portion that you're filtering the register by. 

With that said, I'd suggest using the Report feature if you're looking to get a total for the selected transactions that contain splits. When testing this using the Spending Report, I am seeing a correct total that includes just the portion of split transactions that the Report is being filtered by. 

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any further questions or feedback!

-Coach Natalie
  • timmyc123
    timmyc123 Member ✭✭✭✭
    >> "which does not include providing a total for those transactions"

Then why is the total displayed?
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @timmyc123

Ahh, I do see now where it shows a total for the filtered transactions without actually selecting them. Sorry about that!

Yes, I do believe that this is a calculation error bug since Simplifi does provide a total for the filter; this total should only include the portion of split transactions that align with the parameter(s) selected when filtering as opposed to the total amount of the split transactions. 

I went ahead and got this escalated and will be sure to post back as soon as an update is received. In the meantime, I'd suggest using the Report feature to get an accurate total. :smile:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-14347
  • bcrossman
    bcrossman Member ✭✭✭✭
    One way to correct this issue (which has been suggested before) would be to treat spilt transactions as separate transactions. That would have the added benefit of allowing separate tags and notes for each portion of the split transactions, and would preserve the additional data when the transactions are exported. Maybe the split transactions could still be “linked” somehow, but it would be better if they could be separate. 
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @timmyc123,

Great news! A fix for this issue is expected with the 3.69.0 Web Release. Please let us know if you see an issue after that time. 

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.