What is Category [N/A]?

Flopbot
Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2021 in Troubleshooting
Greetings,

I have an CC account that automatically downloaded these four (4) transactions.  In reality, there are only two (2) transactions...note the duplicate amounts.

The Amazon [N/A] one for $35.62 shows this...
  • Appears on your CC 0089 - Chase Amazon statement as Amazon.com*2736D5IE0 on Oct 15, 2021.
The Amazon ---Split--- one for $35.62 shows this...
  • Appears on your CC 0089 - Chase Amazon statement as Amazon.com*2736D5IE0 on Oct 15, 2021.
The two transactions for $14.21 are equally matched.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I did notice this note on each of the ---Split--- transactions, but NOT on the [N/A] transactions.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but when I tried adding a Tag to the two [N/A] transactions, I got this...

I don't have a category called [N/A] unless it's hidden somehow.

My Questions:
  1. What's going on?
  2. Would these extra transactions throw off any totals / available to spend amounts anywhere?
  3. Would it be okay to just DELETE the two [N/A] ones?
Chris
Quicken Desktop user since 2014.
New to Simplifi in 2021.

Comments

• Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for posting to the Community regarding this issue, although I apologize that you're seeing duplicate entries in Simplifi.

To clarify, are the transactions with the "N/A" Category showing as 'Pending' (you can determine this by adding the "Status" column)? If so, it's very possible that something went awry when linking the cleared transactions to the pending transactions, in which case I would suggest just deleting the duplicate entries. 

Deleting the duplicates shouldn't cause an issue with your balance, as this is always going to stay in line with what the bank is reporting for connected accounts, and if these items are being counted twice in your Spending Plan due to the double entries, then removing the duplicates for each of these transactions should clear that up as well. 

More details on how Simplifi calculates your balance can be found here, and more details on resolving duplicate transactions in Simplifi can be found here

Please let me know how it goes! :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Coach Natalie,

The status column is showing up blank (non-pending)?

I know they're just downloaded duplicates so I'll just delete one set.  Wanted to make sure there wasn't something else going on.  I've never seen a N/A show up in as a Category before.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for checking and posting back!

Yes, hopefully this is just a one-off situation, but please be sure to let me know if you see something like this pop up again so we can take a closer look. :blush:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @Coach Natalie

You asked me to let you know if I saw this again.  I did in a different account than the one we were talking about above.  Note these are not Pending Transactions; having occurred in October.

The colored dots show which ones are duplicates.  It's interesting to me that all of these as well as the prior ones are Amazon purchases.

I now know that the way to resolve it is to just DELETE the N/A transactions (or merge them) if there is duplicate transaction.  However, I'll wait to do that for a little while in case your team wants to take a look at something from the back end to try and track down the problem.

Thanks.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for posting back -- very strange!

Would you mind grabbing another screenshot for me just like the most recent one above, but add the Status column and the Entry Method column so that we can see those two additional points of data, please?

Also, please grab some screenshots of the Transaction Details of one or two of those example transactions showing the "Appears on your statement as..." info, one of the actual transaction that is properly categorized, and one of the same transaction that is a duplicate and shows "N/A" for the Category, so that we can compare the two. 

I do also need to know the name of the account, as it appears in Simplifi (the most recent account that this is occurring with).

Please let me know if you have any questions on what I'm looking for, and as always, I can email you a link to our Secure File Exchange or you can DM me the screenshots if you'd like to keep them private. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Coach Natalie,

No problem, I don't have a issue with doing the screenshots in the community.  It might help someone else trying to follow along and there's nothing personally identifiable in them.

One set...

And another set...

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thanks for providing the requested information!

I have gone ahead and gotten this reported and will be sure to let you know as soon as I receive an update. :blush:

-Coach Natalie

SIMPL-11096
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Sadly, it looks like this escalation is still open. With that said, I did want to check back in with you to see if the issue is still occurring, or if we can potentially close out the ticket. 

Please let me know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @Flopbot,

Were you able to take a look at this, by chance? Please let us know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Hi @Coach Natalie,

Sorry for the delay.  This has occurred as late as the beginning of this month when I had about 4 of them in the same account.  Unfortunately, I've already fixed all of them and here is one of them.  The highlighted Category originally downloaded as [N/A].

This isn't exactly [N/A], but I did just have this transaction clear THE SAME account.

In the transaction register, it looks like this...

And when I open up the transaction, it looks like this...

I'll try to remember to reply back next time I see [N/A].

Interestingly, when I did a filter of ALL transactions, by "Uncategorized", this transaction of $65.01 didn't show up.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Thank you for confirming that the issue is still occurring, as well as for providing fresh examples!

I went ahead and bumped the ticket so hopefully we see some movement very soon. To help out the Product Team a little bit, would you mind uploading your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option? You may do so by following these steps:
    1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send
    Please let me know once done!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @Flopbot,

Have you been able to submit those logs, by chance? Please let us know, thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

I just wanted to check back in with you one last time on this -- we do need those logs, so please be sure to get those sent as soon as possible and let us know once done. 

Thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello again @Flopbot,

I really don't want to close this escalation, as I know the issue is still occurring. However, if we don't get those logs from you, it's the route we'll have to take. To avoid the ticket being closed, please submit your logs via the 'Send Feedback' option and let me know once done.
    1. Log into the Simplifi Web App.
    2. Select Profile from the left-hand navigation bar.
    3. With the Profile menu open, hold down the Option key for Mac or the Alt key for Windows, and then click Send Feedback
    4. Leave all boxes checked, add a brief description of the issue, and then click Send
    Thank you!

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Coach Natalie,

Sorry to drop out of the community for awhile.  The Christmas season (Oct. - Dec.) is an especially busy time of the year between our PT retail establishment - or at least we hope it is - and my FT job.  I do have a little more info to share about this.  While I haven't seen any [N/A] transactions in this one particular CC account since Nov. 19th, I did have a number of NOTFOUND downloads.

Some interesting things:
    1. ALL of the transactions are occurring on my one CC ending in 9552. 
    2. ALL of these transactions are from Amazon and I have done nothing with any of these transactions as of this post.
    3. One transaction for +$28.23 downloaded as Amazon.com & "Uncategorized" while the other 16 downloaded as Amazon & "NOTFOUND".  Examples of those were for +$51.88 and -$135.05.
    4. The highlighted category did display NOTFOUND up until I selected that line by clicking the cursor on it.
    Here are some supporting screenshots...

I turned in the "Send Feedback"...

I think these are all the details I can provide at this time.
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @Coach Natalie,

One additional point of data.

This is my Payees & rules for Amazon...

And here are the Renaming Rules.  Note that I just added Rule 2 to see if it renames the Amazon.com one in the future.  Rule 2 didn't exist when the original transactions were downloaded.

I'm going to adjust the Default Category from " " to "Uncategorized" and see if that changes the results of future downloads.

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

No worries -- thank you for getting back to me!

I went ahead and updated the ticket with the new examples and the feedback that you submitted. I'll be sure to let you know once I receive an update. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Hello @Flopbot,

Great news! A fix for this issue is expected with the 3.75.0 Web Release. Please be sure to let us know if you continue to see an issue after that time. 

-Coach Natalie
  • Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Coach Natalie.  Great news, thank you for your continued hard work in this forum!
    Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.
  • Coach Natalie

Hello @Flopbot,

Sadly, the fix for this issue has been pushed to the 3.76.0 Web Release. I'll be sure to keep you posted on any future changes.

We appreciate your continued patience!

-Coach Natalie

• Coach Natalie

Hello @Flopbot,

It looks like a different type of fix is needed for this issue, so they removed the fix version from the ticket. I'll let you know as soon as any new updates are received.

Thank you for your continued patience!

-Coach Natalie

• Flopbot
    Flopbot Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries @Coach Natalie

Chris
    New to Simplifi in 2021.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.