A popup refers to installing the app on Chrome/Windows 10. What is that app?

Options
SeattleGuy
SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Getting Started
I'm running Chrome and Windows 10. When I log into the Simplifi webapp and land in the dashboard view, I often get a popup that says: 
Install Simplifi by Quicken
Add Simplifi to your applications to have instant access to the app and enhanced features!
(The popup has a button to install the app, and a button to decline.)

- I don't get it. I'm already running the webapp in Chrome, I have my accounts all set up etc. What is the app that this message is referring to? Is it a traditional Win32 or Win64 native Windows app? I can't find any references to a native Windows app in the Help.
- The popup refers to "enhanced features" - what are those, and why aren't they in the webapp?
- Can someone explain what this app is? (I don't want to just click Install if I don't understand what this is or what changes will be made in my computer by my installing it.) 
Tagged:

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @SeattleGuy

You might want to wait until you hear from one of the coaches on this one to make sure all your questions are answered, but as far as I know this does is create a desktop icon that is a direct link to the web app. Nothing is installed on your computer other than this link.  I also have Windows 10 and use the Chrome browser.

Not sure what is meant by "enhanced features" unless it's the shortcuts to the various Simplifi features that are listed when you right click on the icon.  Otherwise when you click on the link amodified instance of Chrome will open directly to Simplifi.

I have the Simplifi icon pinned to my task bar for quick access, i.e. I don't have to open my web browser and then go to Simplifi, I simply click on the Simplifi icon and there is Simplifi.

Here are some screen shots of what you end up with if you chose to "install" this app.

Simplifi icon pinned to my task bar - a single click opens a Chrome window on the desktop...

If you have your login credentials saved in Google Chrome, clicking in the username or password boxes will auto fill with your credentials... logging in leads to this....

This is the web version of Simplifi.  It's no different then what you get to by opening your browser and navigating to Simplifi.

If you right click on the icon you can select where you want to start when you log into Simplifi.

Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @SeattleGuy,

Great questions!

Yes, what you're referring to is just a Chrome extension where you can launch Simplifi without opening your browser. @DannyB did a great job of describing it above and providing screenshots!

Although I'm not aware of any enhanced features outside of being able to launch Simplifi without a browser being open, Windows seems to have a leg-up on Mac, as I'm not seeing any of the right-click options on my Mac.

I'll share your suggestion with the Team. Let us know if you have any further questions! :smile:

-Coach Natalie

Answers

• SeattleGuy
    SeattleGuy Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hey @DannyB thanks for that info. It confirms my suspicion that the "app" just a shortcut to the standard webapp version of Simplifi. Can one of the coaches please confirm that "enhanced features" just refers to the right-click shortcuts? Or is there something else? (Suggestion: the popup could have a link to a docs page that explains what the app and enhanced features are about.) 
  • DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Coach Natalie did you hover over or click on the "Options" to see it those links are located there?
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Options
    @DannyB, I did and they're not. :disappointed:

-Coach Natalie
This discussion has been closed.