How to change name of biller when creating a recurring bill

Options
StrongArmmed
StrongArmmed Member
edited February 2023 in Bills and Income
Hello! I love Simplifi but I've definitely not mastered it's use LOL! 

For example. I want to create recurring bills for a number of creditors/billers that in my bank transaction list have entries that look like Credit One Bank Payment xxxxxxxx WEB ID: WEBxxxxxx, for example, where x is a number 0-9 inclusive that might vary with each transaction.

How do I create a recurring transaction from them, while renaming the series to something that makes sense to me? Is that possible? 

Hopefully, what I'm asking makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• DannyB
    DannyB Superuser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @StrongArmmed

Here is a Support article about How to Use Transaction Rules.  This article will guide through the process for how to do what you are asking about.  You will need to include in the key words field for each transaction you want create a separate recurring bill for.

Hope that helps!
    Danny
    Simplifi user since 01/22
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions.” ~A.A. Latimer
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @StrongArmmed,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to the Community!

It sounds like what you're looking for may be the Recurring Transaction feature. @DannyB may have nailed it with Transaction Rules, however, you did specifically mention Recurring Transactions, which are different than Transaction Rules, so I'd like to provide you with that information as well.

You can create a Recurring Transaction Series from the transaction directly by using the "Create new recurring" option. You'd then be able to edit the name to whatever you'd like. You can also create and manage your Recurring Series' under the Settings>Recurring section. More details on using Recurring Transactions can be found here

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Coach Natalie
  • Coach Natalie
    Coach Natalie Administrator, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @StrongArmmed,

Thanks for posting back!

To clarify, if you're attempting to create a Transaction Rule for the transactions in question so that they download with a specific Payee name, you'll want to follow the steps that @DannyB provided to create a Payee Rule. Simplifi uses the "Appears on your statement as..." info when watching for the keywords for a Payee Rule, so you'll want to identify something unique for each of the transactions in question so they can be properly renamed. 

However, it sounds like you're attempting to create a Recurring Transaction Series for the transactions in question, which is unrelated to Transaction Rules. As mentioned above, you can name your Recurring Series' whatever you'd like. When it comes to linking the transactions to the Recurring Series', you'll be able to select which transaction gets linked to which Series. At the time of linking, the transaction will take the Payee and Category that was selected during the Recurring Series setup.

I'm having a hard time nailing down exactly what you're looking to do, and it seems there's been some confusion with two very different features in this post, so I'm trying to provide you with sufficient information for both of the features in hopes that we can get to the bottom of things. Let us know if you have any questions. :smile:

-Coach Natalie
  • StrongArmmed
    StrongArmmed Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good morning @Coach Natalie! You and @DannyB provided the answers that I was looking for.

My workflow is as follows:

1. Locate the transaction I want to rename. Rename using the Transaction Rule feature. Select the option to rename all the transactions that meet the rule.
    2. Apply a default category using the same rules feature
    3. Make a recurring transaction out of the newly renamed transactions from the previous steps.
    I think that I'm good now!

Answers

• StrongArmmed
    Options
    DannyB said:
    Hi @StrongArmmed

Here is a Support article about How to Use Transaction Rules.  This article will guide through the process for how to do what you are asking about.  You will need to include in the key words field for each transaction you want create a separate recurring bill for.

Hope that helps!
    Good morning DannyB! Thanks for that link! I’ll take a look at it and reply back if I need more assistance. Much obliged!
  • StrongArmmed
    Options
    Thanks @Coach Natalie!

Both you and @DannyB are right. I want to create a recurring transaction. The problem seems to be that the transaction in my ledger doesn't show an identifier that is 100% the same for each instance.

So yes, I want to have a recurring transaction identified by a plain name that I select, where the recurring transaction feature will catch all instances of the transaction even if its name in my bank ledger is slightly different.

This discussion has been closed.